• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Evidence of COVID-induced autoimmunity in the CNS of patients with neurological symptoms

livinglighter

Divergent and self-reactive immune responses in the CNS of COVID-19 patients with neurological symptoms. Young et al., 2021

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports-medicine/fulltext/S2666-3791(21)00116-6

Highlights
  • Immune cell scRNA-seq showed divergent T cell activation in the CNS during COVID-19
  • COVID-19 patients had a compartmentalized cytokine response in the CNS
  • All COVID-19 patients had anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in their CSF
  • Five out of seven COVID-19 patients had anti-neural autoantibodies in their CSF

Summary

COVID-19 patients frequently develop neurological symptoms, but the biological underpinnings of these phenomena are unknown. Through single cell RNA-seq and cytokine analyses of CSF and blood from COVID-19 patients with neurological symptoms, we find compartmentalized, CNS specific T cell activation and B cell responses. All COVID-19 cases had CSF anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies whose target epitopes diverged from serum antibodies. In an animal model, we find that intrathecal SARS-CoV-2 antibodies are found only during brain infection, and are not elicited by pulmonary infection. We produced CSF-derived monoclonal antibodies from a COVID-19 patient, and find that these mAbs target both anti-viral and anti-neural antigens—including one mAb that reacted to both spike protein and neural tissue. Overall, CSF IgG from 5/7 patients contains anti-neural reactivity. This immune survey reveals evidence of a compartmentalized immune response in the CNS of COVID-19 patients and suggests a role for autoimmunity in neurologic sequelae of COVID-19.
fx1.jpg

CNS of COVID-19 patients with neurological symptoms

Divergent and self-reactive immune responses in the CNS of COVID-19 patients with neurological symptoms

Last edited:

nerd

I remember a study showing CSF cytokines to be off in CFS/ME patients. This would be another consistency with other viruses that cause CFS/ME. They are all neurological, aren't they?

livinglighter

Unfortunately, I’m not too good at understanding the detailed underpinnings of the scientific research that goes into both CFS/ME or Covid-19. However, I do understand what autoimmunity means, and that it has long been considered part of ME/CFS.

I haven’t read the full paper (I couldn’t gain access, but didn’t try much to see how I could) but it’s interesting that the findings were present in 5 out of 7 patients with neurological symptoms.

I’m trying to stay relatively updated with Long Covid research, because at this point I believe it’s the same as ME/CFS. Plus the research has both the medical disciplines involved that ME needs and at the pace required to dismantle biopsychological/MUS approaches.

Last edited:

nerd

I’m trying to stay relatively updated with Long Covid research, because at this point I believe it’s the same as ME/CFS.

I'm not sure yet if it's the same disease with varying progression time, as known from CFS/ME, or if it's a subsequent phase to Post-COVID, which only occurs in a subgroup of Post-COVID patients. By Post-COVID, I mean the patients with long hauling symptoms, but who don't meet the CFS/ME criteria (yet).

I haven’t read the full paper (I couldn’t gain access, but didn’t try much to see how I could)

The paper is open-access. When you press on Download PDF, you should get to the paper.

livinglighter

I'm not sure yet if it's the same disease with varying progression time, as known from CFS/ME, or if it's a subsequent phase to Post-COVID, which only occurs in a subgroup of Post-COVID patients. By Post-COVID, I mean the patients with long hauling symptoms, but who don't meet the CFS/ME criteria (yet).

I am not 100% certain of course, but the subset of patients with PEM and the same symptoms as ME found in many Long haulers makes me believe it is. I also saw Dr Weir this week who said there is a very strong possibility that it's the same and he is currently undertaking Long Covid research.

The paper is open-access. When you press on Download PDF, you should get to the paper.

Thanks

Last edited: