• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ever sued a landlord for mold exposure?

Anyone sued for mold exposure? Win? Lose? Open to sharing your experience?

My mold toxins test from Real Time came back positive for all toxins.

secondary factor to my CFS is stress. I have PTSD and other pre-existing conditions.

my stress levels are lower now but fatigue symptoms remain: air hunger, brain fog, some back and ankle pain, often still having no restorative sleep.

fatigue doc is highly skilled. He agrees the mold is the primary factor and the stress secondary.

70+ lab tests, mri, thyroid ultrasound etc we’re done before I was diagnosed with CFS.

i didn’t test positive for COVID

Im an advocate for myself always and I’m moving out soon but want to tackle this through legal means. Speaking with some attorneys, none of whom will likely understand much about CFS.

also trying to figure out if I need to move to a dry climate or just a new apt where mold tests show it’s safe. I’m in nyc and it’s moist here.

been in this mold infested apt for over a decade. Wish I’d realized the risk but I didn’t. My landlord hasn’t maintained it at all and I’ve talked to him about the mold and have evidence in writing, photos and video of the apt.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
My thoughts are that you can give him a few requests and follow up to remediate the unit. If no action then the lease is broken and it's time to move. You can join Legal Shield to have legal coverage if he sues you about past rent if you do it before he files suit (recommend extra trial hours option). Let him sue you for rent and deal with the consequences with the coverage.

My thoughts are that you can give him a few requests and follow up to remediate the unit. If no action then the lease is broken and it's time to move. You can join Legal Shield to have legal coverage if he sues you about past rent if you do it before he files suit (recommend extra trial hours option). Let him sue you for rent and deal with the consequences with the coverage.

I appreciate that. I'm not looking for advice on how to handle this, though. I'm asking if anyone has sued a landlord for mold exposure and what their experience was like.

Multiple firms are reviewing the material now, and the vendors I spoke with who do mold testing in homes here all said their work leads to law suits often.

I think it's a tough topic in a legal context because ME/CFS is so complex and misunderstood, but my mycotoxin test results explain many of my symptoms, including my severe weight loss, air hunger, and GI issues.

This isn't just to cover healthcare costs and the loss of income from not being able to work. It's about advocacy for myself, and for others in my state with ME/CFS that's tied to mold exposure. If something like this has legs in the minds of attorneys, and they can grasp the illness well enough to advocate for me, then such a case could set a precedent in my state, to help protect others like me. The attorneys said these personal injury cases almost always end in a settlement, so that wouldn't set a precedent for others, but it would help me tremendously.