• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ER refused to treat me

starlily88

On Tuesday May1st I had to go to ER. I don't go very often - last time I went was October 1, 2017. I was treated for Asthma attack, Shingles on left hand, left arm, broken big toe. Dr. was hands on, quite concerned. Told me to see Orthopedic surgeon ASAP (I saw one that day) , a Pulmonologist for asthma.

I have been sick since March 21st 2018 with inability to catch breath, very sore pain to right of my adams apple, no flu, no strep, but hurts when I swallow.

Perhaps due to 90 degree temps on Tuesday - my breathing got worse. My Endocrinologist gave me a Rescue Inhaler 2 years ago - telling me I had sort of asthma that is triggered by cold weather, but he never told me how to use it, how many times to use it, etc - I didn't like it because it makes one's heart race.

On Oct 1, 2017 Dr.in ER told me I had Asthma, to see a Pulmonologist, which I made appt, then cancelled due to major dental surgeries I had up till Christmas day.

I went unwillingly to the ER - as all my symptoms returned post Prednisone.
I was triaged, then registered quickly - there was no one in the ER, it was empty.

A male nurse came to take me to ER room. He was interrupted by a CRNP nurse - even he seemed confused. She took me into private meeting room - and then just abused me, I started wheezing I got so upset.

She demanded to know what I wanted them to do - "What tests do you want us to run?" I told her I was not a Doctor so didn't know. She went on berating me for over 5 minutes, while my breathing got worse. She would not let me go to my ER bed, insisting that I had to tell her what did I expect them to do.

I then told her that perhaps I was having an asthma attack - then she told me I did NOT have asthma - I told her yes I did - look at my October 1 2017 treatment by the head ER dr. She would not look this up, and insisted that I tell her what possible tests could they run.
I told her I didn't want to talk to her - and why was she doing this (I am not tagged as drug/alcohol person, or repeat visitor) Until October 1 2017 I had not been to the ER in years.

She was quite mean to me, abusive, it sounded quite personal.

So to sum it up - I got to pay $2000,00 for one chest x-ray, saw the dr for one second - who I begged to get me breathing again - he ran out with "I have to wait for blood tests: I came back anemic although no one told me that. Then this CRNP came in - told me to leave. There was nothing they could do, and no I did not have asthma.

I had to go to Urgent Care - who told me I was having an asthma attack - wanted me to go to another hospital, but I just wanted to use my Inhaler.

I called the Nurse Healthline that nite - they had never heard of a CRNP doing this - said this was quite unusual..

I started using my rescue inhaler every 6 hours. Wow it actually made me better!.

I have left messages at the hospital - never got any call backs. How can an ER let an asthmatic go without treatment? Why did this CRNP intercede, when this never happened before? Why was she yelling at me?

The whole thing was very upsetting to me. I still have pain upon swallowing - now I think it is muscular.
I have seen my Internist, my ENDO, my ENT, and urgent care. No One knows nothing - so I figure this is one of my diseases of the year like Thoracic Radiculopathy - where I lay in bed off/on for 6 months, could not get dressed without pain, and only my Breast cancer surgeon knew what it was.

Or my Notalgia Paresthetica - nerves from my thoracic spine - itching pain on back so unbearable - my internist and ENDO never knew what it was until I went to Dermatologist - who immediately knew what it was and biopsied it!

It is so very tiring to get a 'new disease" that only I can figure out - after 6 months of unending pain.
This is hard to live with.
Starlily88

starlily88

Scary!! The least they could have done is given you a breathing treatment and TRIED to help you. So sad to see the great lack of humanity and care that is infusing the medical profession. :(

Thank goodness you are OK now.
Thanks for your support. I am not OK now - but started using the rescue inhaler - first calling a nurse healthline to ask how to use it, since I was never told.
I have been wearing a neck brace - my right "neck" above collarbone is still killing me - feels like I was punched very hard - this has been since March 21st.

I can't get diagnosis from 4 drs - but looked up on internet. People that have this have had Thyroid ultrasound, which I begged the ER to do, said no. They have had Endoscopy, and Barium swallow.
Always negative - many think think this is muscular pain - I do now sneeze staccota 5 times/night - which must throw my head back - but feel like I can't swallow. I am going to assume my muscles or tissues are damaged.

Since stopping Prednisone I am now running a fever again, can't breathe, and pain in adam's apple and right neck pain so bad hard to eat/swallow.

I don't have any faith in drs anymore - because it takes me about 6 months or 6 years to find out what I actually have, which is when I think quite hard - "what kind of dr could service me?"

Thanks again for your support starlily88

starlily88

Did they do an EKG and make sure you weren't having a heart attack? Sorry that happened to you hun. :(
Yes, they did do bloodwork - like I mentioned I was pretty anemic - but they didn't tell me this, I read the labs there.
Yes they did EKG - but I knew I wasn't having Heart attack - I go to cardiologist 2 times/year, and know the symptoms.
I knew for a fact I was having a bad asthma attack, and that my inhaler was not up to the job, I told them this.

starlily88

Since no one will call me back from hospital - should I call my lawyer, and start procedure against the hospital?
starlily88 PS I don't want this to happen to anyone else, and now I clearly have to never return there

Since no one will call me back from hospital - should I call my lawyer, and start procedure against the hospital?
starlily88 PS I don't want this to happen to anyone else, and now I clearly have to never return there.

I thought you might not bring this up as a possible action, but glad you did.

Probably you could have some success as I see it. Your recounting the event got my blood boiling (so to speak).

Here's the limiting factor often not considered : you are already stressed from being ill all the time. we know that stress is about the worst thing we have to face. If you take a legal action, you will have to commit to "being there" mentally, and physically as required.

Are you able to live up to this requirement, and accept that more stress will be created? If, yes... then go for it. But be certain before starting, and Best To You !! I would love to see a patient get paid for the bad attitudes the medical profession has been known to hold against us.

Gingergrrl

I am so sorry this happened to you @starlily88 and I have had some nightmare experiences in the ER in prior years myself. If it were me, I would first focus on getting symptom relief, then focus on trying to find a pulmonologist who can help with the asthma, and then think if I want to take legal action. Your health comes first as tempting as it is to want to go straight to the legal action. I really do get it (and am not saying not to do it).

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It definitely does sound like an asthma attack if using the inhaler later on helped but I am still concerned about the sensation you have of something pushing on your throat. Has your endocrinologist checked your thyroid for goiter?

Dr Axe's website says this:
Goiter Symptoms

Thyromegaly, more commonly known as a goiter, is an enlarged thyroid, but what are enlarged thyroid symptoms exactly? First off, not every goiter causes symptoms. When symptoms do occur, they can include: (3)

• An enlarged thyroid gland, which results in a visible swelling at the base of your neck that may be especially obvious when you shave or put on makeup
  • A tight feeling in your throat
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Coughing
  • Hoarseness
  • Difficulty breathing

In rare cases, a large goiter can put pressure on the windpipe (trachea) and food tube (esophagus). When a goiter is this large, it can become particularly hard to breathe when lying flat on one’s back. Swallowing can also be especially difficult with solid food, and there might even be pain the thyroid area.

A large goiter can also cause neck vein distention and dizziness when the arms are raised above the head.

Also do you go to a chiropractor at all. I've had to go since my teens and sometimes when my neck is out it puts pressure on the rings of cartilage at the front of my neck, shifting them too. It can be very painful.

Another thought, Vitamin A from fish oil helps soothe the lungs when I am having an asthma attack. It works with my mom's COPD too. We only take it as needed but I prefer trying that first. The inhaler makes me feel wired and shaky and then the next day washed out and I've noticed my mom gets insomnia from hers. (But of course it's called a rescue inhaler for a purpose so use it when the situation is critical as yours sounds like it was.)

I'm not an assertive person but when my mom was in the ER last March for a burst appendix, the first nurse was rotten. She kept wanting my mother--who was really out of it--to give medical history. Every time I would correct something my mom said, the nurse would say, "I'm talking to her (my mom)." I was concerned because the nurse was putting these inaccurate answers into the computer. Again, I'm not assertive but I finally said, "Can we have a different nurse?" and they gave us one.

I do agree with @Gingergrrl. Get your medical needs taken care of first. Document what happened while it's fresh in your mind, if you like, but then set it aside until you get the medical situation taken care of.

Sorry you went through all that. :(

junkcrap50

Sue.

I'm not one for often goin the "sue" route and even less inclinded for malpractice suits. But this seems like a pretty clear cut case. The ER is unable to deny care; its illegal (why of people without insurace go there and why many illegals use the ER too). Also sounds like malpractice as well as you could have died from an asthma attack.

starlily88

Thanks 5150. I don't care about the stress - a friend I went to UNI with is the top criminal lawyer in Las Vegas and where I live - but I doubt he would do a "hospital" case since it is not his area. Another good friend I grew up with is just a medical malpractice attorney - but he does huge cases, like death by hospital - there is no one I know who would put in the hours to do a nuisance case.
Also I would then be blackballed from all the ERs in my state - so there is that.
Tomorrow I am going to get in touch with the head dr who diagnosed me with Asthma Oct 1 2017 at same ER, and tell him what happened - how they all DENIED that I had asthma even tho their lead dr in the ER did in fact diagnose me with that, and did the whole face mask thing - plus shots of steroids - sent me home with lots of meds. I was pretty sick. I also called my retired GYN in Florida - who used to be on the Board of Directors of this hospital to ask him what I can do - he wasn't home though.

No this was planned malpractice directed by the CRNP - no nurse I have talked to thus far has ever heard of someone not letting me go to my ER bed - and pulling me off to a private room, and going under questioning, repeatedly saying
You don't have asthma - I want them to fire her - she is going to kill someone one day. And what is her role there?

Thanks Starlily88
PS was going to a pulmonologist at this hospital but cancelling it - due to what happened.
I am now forever branded.

starlily88

It definitely does sound like an asthma attack if using the inhaler later on helped but I am still concerned about the sensation you have of something pushing on your throat. Has your endocrinologist checked your thyroid for goiter?

Dr Axe's website says this:
Goiter Symptoms

Thyromegaly, more commonly known as a goiter, is an enlarged thyroid, but what are enlarged thyroid symptoms exactly? First off, not every goiter causes symptoms. When symptoms do occur, they can include: (3)

• An enlarged thyroid gland, which results in a visible swelling at the base of your neck that may be especially obvious when you shave or put on makeup
  • A tight feeling in your throat
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Coughing
  • Hoarseness
  • Difficulty breathing

In rare cases, a large goiter can put pressure on the windpipe (trachea) and food tube (esophagus). When a goiter is this large, it can become particularly hard to breathe when lying flat on one’s back. Swallowing can also be especially difficult with solid food, and there might even be pain the thyroid area.

A large goiter can also cause neck vein distention and dizziness when the arms are raised above the head.

Also do you go to a chiropractor at all. I've had to go since my teens and sometimes when my neck is out it puts pressure on the rings of cartilage at the front of my neck, shifting them too. It can be very painful.

Another thought, Vitamin A from fish oil helps soothe the lungs when I am having an asthma attack. It works with my mom's COPD too. We only take it as needed but I prefer trying that first. The inhaler makes me feel wired and shaky and then the next day washed out and I've noticed my mom gets insomnia from hers. (But of course it's called a rescue inhaler for a purpose so use it when the situation is critical as yours sounds like it was.)

I'm not an assertive person but when my mom was in the ER last March for a burst appendix, the first nurse was rotten. She kept wanting my mother--who was really out of it--to give medical history. Every time I would correct something my mom said, the nurse would say, "I'm talking to her (my mom)." I was concerned because the nurse was putting these inaccurate answers into the computer. Again, I'm not assertive but I finally said, "Can we have a different nurse?" and they gave us one.

I do agree with @Gingergrrl. Get your medical needs taken care of first. Document what happened while it's fresh in your mind, if you like, but then set it aside until you get the medical situation taken care of.

Sorry you went through all that. :(

Thanks so much for your support Judee. I am not assertive until I get super mad - but when at the mercy of the ER, I am too sick to be assertive. Though when I got home - I thought "why didn't you just tell her you wanted a new nurse?" Well I will tell you why - I have been sent to ER many times by my dr. This was first time I went on my own -= I asked this nurse several times - what are you doing? What is your role here? Why are you questioning me - I need treatment - I can't breathe - at that = she said " well you are not wheezing so you can breathe" Normally I would of just left the ER, and gone somewhere else.
I don't wheeze until late at nite.

No never checked for goiter - my ENDO didn't seem concerned about any of this, nor did my internist of 25 years - but in fairness - he was getting rid of all this Medicare patients in a few days - I would have to pay $1600.00 to see him for just one year. I was only there for scripts - but he did notice I had a high fever.
My ENT was the most concerned - but didn't know what to do.

Urgent care saw I had low TSH and high fever - told me to NOT do PRednisone my ENDO had ordered - only do antibiotics even though they tested me for flu/strep, negative.

If I could pick out a dr at Hopkins to see - I don't even know what dept to pick?
So no one had a clue - when I suggested that it was my asthma - all four of them said - you don't have asthma, even though my ENDO had diagnosed me with it in 2016 May.

When we are so much smarter than all the drs we go to, it just sickens me.

Starlily88

starlily88

I am so sorry this happened to you @starlily88 and I have had some nightmare experiences in the ER in prior years myself. If it were me, I would first focus on getting symptom relief, then focus on trying to find a pulmonologist who can help with the asthma, and then think if I want to take legal action. Your health comes first as tempting as it is to want to go straight to the legal action. I really do get it (and am not saying not to do it).
Thanks for your support - I can't focus on my symptoms anymore.
I have gone to great lengths to see 3 top doctors with no resolution, plus urgent care.
That is way more stress than I can do willingly - oh, plus the ER.

Going to a doctor will never resolve anything. I usually figure out who to go to after 5 years of no resolution for every single disease I get. I found out I have Thoracic Radiculopathy late 2016 - I was bedbound, couldn't get out of awful pain, couldn't walk, dress, move - felt like all my ribs were broken.
I went to 3 drs - thought I was crazy.
Then I went to my physiatrist - he did nerve conduction study - wow, he found all my thoracic nerves no longer were connected or didn't work - He told me I had thoracic radiculopathy.
Not one pain management person would help me - because although they read his report - it didn't show on the MRI, so therefore it didn't exist.
If it comes again - I know I won't live thru another 6/7 months of this unbearable disease, and will go from this earth.
Starlily88

Misfit Toy

I was going to say, when you feel better..or get help from a doctor and feel better, I would then report her. You don't abuse people at an ER. Ever. Not even if they are on drugs. Their job is to help the person unless the nurse is being hurt by them in some way.

Health care professionals get away with so much.

I had major surgery in 2015 on my wrist and a nurse totally abused me. I had my wrist broken, two incisions and I had a nerve block in that arm so the arm and hand were dead weight. The other hand had an IV in it. I could not cut my food and I was on morphine and had no family there with me. I needed someone to cut my food and the nurse was like, "What, you can't cut it yourself?" It was abuse. She did this among other things. I had to call a social worker. She was horrible. Just down right mean. The social worker actually said, "We know her issues." Ah, yeah because I am not the only one she has treated like this.

I would eventually report this nurse. She sounds unprofessional and these people need to be held accountable. I so hope you feel better. I had asthma as a child and it was awful.

starlily88

I was going to say, when you feel better..or get help from a doctor and feel better, I would then report her. You don't abuse people at an ER. Ever. Not even if they are on drugs. Their job is to help the person unless the nurse is being hurt by them in some way.

Health care professionals get away with so much.

I had major surgery in 2015 on my wrist and a nurse totally abused me. I had my wrist broken, two incisions and I had a nerve block in that arm so the arm and hand were dead weight. The other hand had an IV in it. I could not cut my food and I was on morphine and had no family there with me. I needed someone to cut my food and the nurse was like, "What, you can't cut it yourself?" It was abuse. She did this among other things. I had to call a social worker. She was horrible. Just down right mean. The social worker actually said, "We know her issues." Ah, yeah because I am not the only one she has treated like this.

I would eventually report this nurse. She sounds unprofessional and these people need to be held accountable. I so hope you feel better. I had asthma as a child and it was awful.

Thanks Misfit. Wow so awful what you went thru. My orthopedic dr operated on me, did a nerve block so my arm was heavy weight - so I know how one can't function at all. My arm was like 50 lbs - but my orthopedic came in and checked on me a lot - and the nurses were OK because the alpha male was around!! I am like you, no family in room means the nurses can ignore you, be mean to you - I have never had a kind nurse. I freak out when they put me into hospital from the ER - because I know I will be treated like horrible. I come home so sick from hospital.

I had to call the Hospilista patient advocate one time (my GYN insisted) - it is like calling the Fox after his brother killed all the chickens, and complaining. They are well aware of the bad nurses.

Well just went onto Hopkins list of drs. Found one who is director of the thyroid clinic, and endocrinology. Will try to get in there under emergency - it just seems like after 45 days my symptoms have not remotely gone away.
Although doing a bit of the rescue inhaler helps a bit - but during the worst of it, the inhaler made me worse.
starlily88