• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

enraged after calcium

Yesterday I took folic acid, and calcium. Apart from one another a few hours. After taking the calcium I felt very very enraged suddenly. I was wtf is happening. I got into a serious fight with my mother because of it. Afterwards I was completely shocked by myself. I went online looking for calcium and raged. I found little information, but some websites mentioned it. I took magnesium just to see if it helped and it helped.
Now I am wondering why would calcium make me become so enraged? Could it be? Do I have excessive calcium or too little magnesium? I hope that I do not have a calcium metabolism problem. But I have been supplementing calcium and eating calcium-rich products without eating much magnesium.
Maybe the folic acid also pushed it a bit? I think I will just stop taking supplements and just only ate foods to get vitamins I quite often feel worse after taking them, sometimes better, but it is so unpredictable and confusing. one time folic acid makes me feel better, the next time worse. The same with calcium and other...
Why?
Anyway, anyone else felt really angry after taking calcium?

Wolfcub

There will be a lot more to it than my idea here... (i.e. more science.)
But in my view, the body and mind are not two separate entities. They communicate with each other. Sometimes we're not conscious of that but they are doing it in the background anyway.

I think we sense when there is an imbalance somewhere going on, and it can affect the emotions, and thoughts.

So...I don't know why you supplement calcium. You may have a good reason, or may have been advised to do that by your doctor?
But maybe the body is signaling an imbalance, and that is what affected your emotions and made you act out of your usual character?

Give your mother a hug and say sorry you felt so grumpy with her (even if you did have a point to make..? That can be discussed more calmly perhaps, another time.)

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Abou - excess calcium paired with glutamate can cause excitotoxicity in the brain, which I think could possibly be a factor in your sudden rage. See this article, How to Increase GABA and Balance Glutamate. Here's an excerpt:

To complicate things further, glutamate has the ability to bind with six other receptors in the brain, like the NMDA receptor, which assists in delivering calcium to the cell and plays a vital role in memory function and synaptic plasticity. Calcium is used by glutamate as the agent that actually inflicts the harm on the cell. So, if there is an excess of calcium in the body for any reason, it too will contribute to the GABA and glutamate imbalance.

Glutamate and calcium together cause ongoing firing of the neurons, which triggers the release of inflammatory mediators, which leads to more influx of calcium. It becomes a vicious cycle that results in neural inflammation and cell death. Glutamate has been described as the gun, while calcium should be seen as the bullet, says Dr. Mark Neveu, a former president of the National Foundation of Alternative Medicine.

Additionally, see Excitotoxicity and cell damage .

I had believed forever that calcium was important for sleep (and had sleep problems forever too) until a few years ago when I learned of this issue. I stopped taking calcium, increased my magnesium, and my sleep improved. Calcium can also cause other health problems. You'd have to read up on it, I don't have all the info.

Hej yes but I also had the opposite. In college I took magnesium supplements because I suffered from insomnia, but they did not help so I kept increasing them and felt worse and worse.
After a few months of barely sleeping I took a calcium pill and that night I slept amazing. My insomnia stopped when starting calcium. I was vegan at the time so maybe I was just very deficient and that too much magnesium made things worse.
Calcium and magnesium have to be in balance it seems.Enough and not too much of both.

I also discovered something else. Lately I cannot handle drinking water. Just a little bit of water makes me feeling really weird. I also crave very little water. However, I was feeling such very weird and I started noticing that increasing my potassium intake made a huge difference. Normally I like salty foods and suddenly I don't crave salt anymore. Even a little water or salt make me feel very weird and not very good. However taking potassium or eating potassium rich food make me feel very good. When drinking water I start feeling confused or tired or just mentally very weird or unwell. But using potassium makes me feel more alert, and such better mentally.

My mother does not believe me that I can feel so bad after drinking water, but it is really, really true. I only drink a few glasses of water and I feel satisfied for the day. I am a bit afraid to tell a doctor, because they will probably think I am crazy. I just notice this again and again. But maybe there is something the matter with my kidneys or adrenals? Can this be related with the calcium-magnesium?

I have to drink so I going to start drinking potassium-rich drinks. But why do I need so much potassium all of the sudden and no sodium?

I am feeling scared, because my body feels so weird lately, but people don't believe me.
I know doctor mean well, but I have such bad experiences with them. so I ama bit afraid that something is very wrong at times because I have felt so weird and bad the passed few weeks. Today and yesterday were good days, but I started feeling really weird again today after drinking very little water and better again after eating coconut water, oranges, and potatoes and taking potassium chloride. (not all at once)

Could this be related: maybe I have to little potassium, because I have too little magnesium?

I do think I had too little potassium a few weeks ago after taking vitamin b6 (very bad experience from it) and starting to pee a lot. Afterwards I had severe muscles tremors, muscle weakness (I just could not stand on my legs), muscle cramps,... It was very severe for a few days, but I did not dare to go to the doctor. It resolved but I remained very weak in my legs. I don't know if it was potassium loss that caused those symptoms, but someone I know who is a nutritionist suggested it. Just now I started immensely increasing my potassium intake and I notice such a big difference. So maybe there was a deficiency- caused by excessive peeing??? and my body now wants to hold on of all the potassium, so it wants very little water or salt- so it can hold on as much potassium to replenish?

I dunno, but it could be? When there was deficiency the body want of that nutrient for a while to restore.

I am just guessing, but I just noticed two things water and salt make me feel bad (and calcium), especially salt-while normally I really a salt-loving person and I just feel so much better increasing potassium. So I will just keep high potassium intake and low salt and water and hopefully my body will restore after a while and normalize. Or does my story sound crazy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Potassium and other electrolytes can be taste-tested.

Stir 1/8 tsp of potassium chloride (salt substitute) powder into a cup of warm water (the size of the average coffee mug). The better it tastes, the more a person needs potassium. If one doesn't need potassium, it will taste awful.

Stir 1/8 tsp of sodium chloride (table salt) into a cup of warm water to test sodium.

Stir 1/8 tsp of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) into a cup of warm water to test magnesium.

Potassium and other electrolytes can be taste-tested.

Stir 1/8 tsp of potassium chloride (salt substitute) powder into a cup of warm water (the size of the average coffee mug). The better it tastes, the more a person needs potassium. If one doesn't need potassium, it will taste awful.

Stir 1/8 tsp of sodium chloride (table salt) into a cup of warm water to test sodium.

Stir 1/8 tsp of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) into a cup of warm water to test magnesium.

Could I also use magnesium chloride instead of epsom salt?
Okay I will test it. Thank you. :)

BeADocToGoTo1

What is the quality of your water as that is often overlooked. Are you drinking, e.g. mineral, well, tap, bottled (plastic or glass), chlorinated, fluoridated, reverse osmosis, reverse osmosis with minerals added back in, filtered (what kind?), restaurant or cafe water, etc.? Have you tried a few different types of mineral waters to see whether that helps?

And, as mentioned in the other thread. Instead of trying to (over) balance things with supplements, as that can backfire especially if you have not first tested your nutrient balances, the first thing to tackle is what you eat and drink. And be really honest with yourself.

How many grams of sugar and carbs do you consume per day and per meal, as that can also have a massive effect on electrolyte balances.