• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Enhanced aerobic glycolysis [...] by Epstein-Barr virus latent membrane protein 1

nanonug

In this particular instance, latent EBV appears to induce increased expression of, among other things, pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 1 (PDK1). Given the increased expression of pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase seen by Fluge et al, this finding, if validated, lends credence to the hypothesis that EBV is indeed a causative factor in SEID.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28827059

Abstract
Latent membrane protein 1 (LMP1) is a principal viral oncoprotein in Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-associated malignancies, including nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC), which acts through regulating tumorigenesis and metabolic reprogramming of cancers. In the presence of oxygen, we demonstrated that glucose consumption, lactate production and lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) activity were significantly increased upon LMP1 expression in NPC cells and in a LMP1 variant derived from NPC patients-transformed BALB/c-3T3 cells. The amounts of the α subunit of hypoxia-inducible factor-1 (HIF-1α), a key regulator of aerobic glycolysis, and its targets, pyruvate dehydrogenase kinase 1 (PDK1) and the pyruvate kinase M2 (PKM2) isoform, were also consistently elevated by LMP1. Moreover, in parallel with reductions in the oxygen consumption rate and mitochondrial membrane potential in cells, an augmented extracellular lactate concentration was observed due to LMP1 induction. In conclusion, our results proved facilitation of the Warburg effect by LMP1 through alteration of mitochondrial function in NPC cells.

nanonug

What does this mean in English ?

A good percentage of people who contract mononucleosis, which tends to be caused by infection with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), end up with SEID. This study purports to show that latent EBV (that is, post-infection and not active), produces a protein, latent membrane protein 1 (LMB1), that inhibits pyruvate dehydrogenase. The study by Fluge et al showed that people with SEID have an "impairment" in pyruvate dehydrogenase. These two studies lead therefore to a "connection of the dots" and provides an explanation for why some people who contract mononucleosis end up with SEID.

raghav

Thanks @nanonug I suffer from hippocampal sclerosis which is caused in majority of cases by EBV. So what is the solution to this problem, DCA ?

nanonug

Thanks @nanonug I suffer from hippocampal sclerosis which is caused in majority of cases by EBV. So what is the solution to this problem, DCA ?

I know almost nothing about hippocampal sclerosis and had absolute no idea that it could be caused by EBV. I also have absolutely no clue whether DCA would be able to help in your particular case, I'm afraid...

vision blue

According to the abstract, LMB1 is the protein found in cancers caused by EBV, but says nothing about whether or not it s found in other cases of EBV that do not lead to cancers (and of course EBV infects nearly everyone at some point) Does the article itself then discuss when LMB1 is produced?