• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Emerge Australia ME/CFS International Research Symposium March 12-15, 2019

Gemini

The biomedical basis, diagnosis, treatment and management of ME/CFS will be covered at Emerge Australia's International Research Symposium March 12-15, 2019 in Geelong, Australia.

https://emerge.org.au/symposium/#.XG82bHdFzct

There will be livestreaming, live tweet, and recordings available through their website after the event.

More about livestreaming on their Facebook site:

www.facebook.com/emergeAustraliaInc

Gemini

@raghav, agree the agenda/speakers are quite impressive....

2019 ME/CFS INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM PROGRAMME*
12 – 15 March 2019 at Novotel Geelong, 10 – 14 Eastern Beach Rd, Geelong.

12th March – Afternoon Registration & Welcome Reception

13th March – Day 1 Scientific programme

Topics: Mitochondrial function and signalling – Immunology – Neuroimaging – The microbiome

Speakers: Dr. Leighton Barnden – Dr. Travis Craddock – Prof. Paul Fisher – Dr. Elisha Josev – Prof. Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik – Dr Neil McGregor – Prof. Donald Staines – Ruud Raijmakers – Dr Cara Tomas

14th March – Day 2 Scientific programme & Symposium Dinner

Topics: Research Innovation, Big Data & Bioinformatics – Genomics and Proteomics – Metabolomics – Biobanking & Clinical Data

Speakers: Dr. Chris Armstrong – A.Prof. Jonas Bergquist – Dr. Ron Davis – Dr. Brett Lidbury – Dr Neil McGregor – Dr. Alain Moreau – Dr.Luis Nacul – Dr Robert Phair – Dr. Wenzhong Xiao

15th March – Day 3 Clinical Focus & Open Day including a Symposia Summary

Presentations & panels including: Dr Mark Donohoe, Dr Bruce Wauchope & Dr Ron Davis

Gemini

2019 ME/CFS INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM PROGRAMME*

12 – 15 March 2019 at Novotel Geelong, 10 – 14 Eastern Beach Rd, Geelong.

12th March – Afternoon Registration & Welcome Reception

13th March – Day 1 Scientific programme

Topics: Mitochondrial function and signalling – Immunology – Neuroimaging – The microbiome

Speakers: Dr. Leighton Barnden – Dr. Travis Craddock – Prof. Paul Fisher – Dr. Elisha Josev – Prof. Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik – Dr Neil McGregor – Prof. Donald Staines – Ruud Raijmakers – Dr Cara Tomas

14th March – Day 2 Scientific programme & Symposium Dinner

Topics: Research Innovation, Big Data & Bioinformatics – Genomics and Proteomics – Metabolomics – Biobanking & Clinical Data

Speakers: Dr. Chris Armstrong – A.Prof. Jonas Bergquist – Dr. Ron Davis – Dr. Brett Lidbury – Dr Neil McGregor – Dr. Alain Moreau – Dr.Luis Nacul – Dr Robert Phair – Dr. Wenzhong Xiao

15th March – Day 3 Clinical Focus & Open Day including a Symposia Summary

Presentations & panels including: Dr Mark Donohoe, Dr Bruce Wauchope & Dr Ron Davis

https://emerge.org.au/symposium/#.XHAXM3dFzcu

Diwi9

Administrator
Great line-up. Looks like quite a few OMF-funded researchers will be presenting too! It doesn't look like it will be live-streamed :cry:, but hopefully the presentation talks will be posted online at some point.

Gemini

Great line-up. Looks like quite a few OMF-funded researchers will be presenting too! It doesn't look like it will be live-streamed :cry:, but hopefully the presentation talks will be posted online at some point.
@Diwi9 Amy Gibson, Emerge Information Officer indicates plans to livestream, live tweet and make recordings available after the event.

Anyone know time zone changes between Australia the US, UK, Europe, and other parts of the world?

raghav

@Gemini Will they be livestreaming all the events from 13th till 15th or will they livestream only the Day 3 (15th) events ? Any idea ?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
I wish I could attend. So close yet so far.

There is one specific research question I'd love to ask the attending researchers (related the most relevant replicated finding so far, which incidentally was described by Robert Phair on this forum as "a classic in CFS research" yet few seem to be investigating the question directly)...

FMMM1

@Diwi9 They plan to Livestream all three days of the Symposium via Facebook according to Amy Gibson.

OMF have provided access to talks given by presenters such as Ron Davis in the past. Hopefully OMF will do that for at least some of these talks.

I'm aware of many of these scientists; however, there are some names I'm not familiar with - looks like a very good lineup.

Belbyr

I am expecting big things out of this, it seemed like the last half of 2018 was pretty pivotal with this group and some small studies looking for a reliable test. It's also been 3-4 months since any kind of update which they seem to update every 3 months.

I am also curious to know what drug Ron Davis mentioned they thought was having a therapeutic effect on one of their biomarkers.

Last edited:

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi guys,

Livestream and details below :)

Tocq_jpLnd-dCvxKHzsxwmvp0QJ_hAFqJKB1Bl-Ek0kLzjzQyBcJCsus1E99yTjkwYjs67JX6_9RcOfHiwuQhHKrn6PD6Yc5o4nZlkbVA7NkfKNwws0ueEF_tsZrtL2nREnorGCgOzFGBQlxZtwZJp7oha3vAh4Xf0UZeyVnJNj1NN_zTKflEXYlkGEgyshDBEpSvpk8hbPaiWA=s0-d-e1-ft

wckSPkSZRl5-yqVu5cFehj6erxXAec-asCQPg8R9JQCWC-gABDfPBkRijd3nA5nHkOxpFp8aI3hXUuL-_Hz0Qjh65CVhcluk4jH5U8Rg_8OPI8W3-B0wcJDBjgnQnyYb_5B-nomlamQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Follow Members of OMF's Scientific Advisory Board and Other Esteemed Scientists at Emerge Australia's
International Research Symposium

We want to thank again Emerge Australia for hosting the International Research Symposium on ME/CFS. Along with leading international researchers, several members of OMF's scientific team, including Ronald W. Davis, PhD, Jonas Bergquist, MD, PhD, Wenzhong Xiao, PhD, Robert Phair, PhD, and Christopher Armstrong, PhD, will be presenting.

Emerge has just announced that the entire program will be available to watch on Facebook Live and at www.goliveaustralia.com.au/emerge2019/. No pre-registration is required. Log-in with these links at the time of the session you wish to watch.

2019 ME/CFS INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM PROGRAM

March 13 – Day 1 Scientific program
Topics:
Mitochondrial function and signalling – Immunology – Neuroimaging – Biobanking & Clinical Data
Speakers: Dr. Leighton Barnden – Dr. Travis Craddock – Prof. Paul Fisher – Dr. Elisha Josev – Dr. Brett Lidbury – Prof. Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik – Dr. Neil McGregor – Dr. Luis Nacul – Prof. Donald Staines – Ruud Raijmakers – Dr. Cara Tomas

March 14 – Day 2 Scientific program
Topics:
Research Innovation, Big Data & Bioinformatics – Genomics and Proteomics – Metabolomics & Transcriptomics – Methodology, Computer Interaction and Collaboration
Speakers: Dr. Chris Armstrong – A.Prof. Jonas Bergquist – Dr. Ron Davis – Dr. Neil McGregor – Dr. Alain Moreau – Dr. Luis Nacul – Dr. Robert Phair – Dr. Wenzhong Xiao

March 15 – Day 3 Clinical Focus & Open Day including a Symposia Summary
Presentations & panels including:
Dr. Mark Donohoe, Dr. Bruce Wauchope & Dr. Ron Davis

The program schedule can be viewed here.

Thank you to Emerge for making this event open to the international patient community.

Hope you enjoy it if you are able to watch :)

B

FMMM1

I wish I could attend. So close yet so far.

There is one specific research question I'd love to ask the attending researchers (related the most relevant replicated finding so far, which incidentally was described by Robert Phair on this forum as "a classic in CFS research" yet few seem to be investigating the question directly)...

Hi,
I think there may have been a facility, for those not physically attending, to ask questions at the 2018 OMF Community Symposium. I don't know about this Conference i.e. if you can submit questions via email etc. If you have a good question then I'd ask it. If it relates to OMF researchers then possibly you could you email the question to Chris Armstrong (your fellow countryman) at OMF [https://www.omf.ngo/2019/02/18/winter-2019-newsletter/]? You have a very good understanding, go for it, ask the question.

Gemini

@Cort has posted a nice review of speakers/ topics on his "Health Rising" blog.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2019/03/10/emerge-australian-me-cfs-chronic-fatigue-conference/

He included "Symposium" start times by Time Zone with this note:

The Conference is being livestreamed, but there is a catch – it’s being livestreamed from Australia. The Conference presentations begin at 8:30 AM on March 13th, Geelong, Australia time, which a Time and Date Converter indicates translates to March 12th in the following locations. Particularly if you’re in Europe or on the East Coast, you’re going to have to stay up to watch. Hopefully the conference will be taped as well!
  • London: 9:30 PM
  • East Coast U.S.: 5:30 PM
  • Midwest U.S.: 3:30 PM
  • Pacific Coast: 2:30 PM