• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Editorial: Advances in ME/CFS Research & Clinical Care

Gemini

Open-access (Sept 2019) written by Ken Friedman, Lucinda Bateman, Alison Bested, and Zaher Nahle with a profound observation and plan to address it, at last:

Excerpt [my bold and paragraphing]

This monograph, despite its excellent and informative articles, lacks any article focused on what is termed the severely affected: those patients so afflicted by ME/CFS that they are unable to leave their homes or rise up out of their beds.

This silent cohort of ME/CFS patients, estimated to be as high as 25 percent of the ME/CFS population, has never appeared in the peer-reviewed ME/CFS literature.

The interest in the articles contained herein has given rise to the invitation to create a subsequent, invited, themed issue, entitled, “ME/CFS—The Severely Affected.”

Clinicians and researchers are writing articles for that issue now. When completed, a description of ME/CFS throughout the range of its severity, and the resources that can be martialed to treat patients suffering from ME/CFS, will finally be available in the medical literature.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6759795/