• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EBV subtype 'gene' found in ME/CFS

Belbyr

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2019.00059/abstract

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a chronic multisystem disease characterised by a variety of symptoms, and exhibits various features of an autoimmune-like disease. Subtypes are well recognised but to date are difficult to identify objectively. The disease may be triggered by infection with a variety of micro-organisms, including Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). A subset of CFS/ME patients exhibit up regulation of EBV virus induced gene 2 (EBI2) mRNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC), and these patients appear to have a more severe disease phenotype and lower levels of EBNA1 IgG. EBI2 is induced by EBV infection and has been found to be upregulated in a variety of autoimmune diseases. EBI2 is a critical gene in immunity and central nervous system function; it is a negative regulator of the innate immune response in monocytes. Its heterogeneous expression in CFS/ME could explain the variable occurrence of a variety of immune and neurological abnormalities which are encountered in patients with CFS/ME. The EBI2 subtype occurred in 38-55% CFS/ME patients in our studies. Further work is required to confirm the role of EBV and of EBI2 and its oxysterol ligands in CFS/ME, and to identify the most practical means to identify patients of the EBI subtype. There are two EBI2 antagonists currently in development, and these may hold promise for the treatment of CFS/ME patients of the EBI subtype.

There are two EBI2 antagonists currently in development, and these may hold promise for the treatment of CFS/ME patients of the EBI subtype.
Does anyone know which EBI2 antagonists are in development, which are already available or which other drugs could be used?
I only found Cimetidine, it inhibits Th1 suppressor cells as a side effect.

Hip

NIBR 189 appears to be an antagonist of the Epstein-Barr virus-induced gene 2 (EBI2), but does not look available, except for research purposes.

I could not find anything about cimetidine inhibiting EBI2.

uglevod

Can a viral co-infection impair immunity against Plasmodium and turn malaria lethal?
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150521143922.htm
It is known that infections with certain viruses can weaken the immune response to another pathogen. A new study reports provocative findings in mice that infection with the mouse equivalent of Epstein-Barr virus can turn infections with certain parasites that cause malaria in mice (which are normally quickly suppressed by the immune system) into a lethal disease.