• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Easy Solution to Treat CFS - Dr. Oz

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I also just wrote Judy Mikovits. You can bet she won't be too thrilled with Dr Oz.

Damn, this really infuriates me! :Retro mad:
Oz's recommendation is like giving someone with diabetes a bucket to pee in and telling them it will "relieve" them of their condition.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
EMAIL NOTE FROM DR DONNICA:

"Aargh! I will check it out + get back to you. I've been traveling + just returned so am WAY behind on email etc. But pleased to report that Brian is in a remission phase + doing great! He's even playing a little soccer w his old team! This is a kid who was bed-ridden or housebound from Nov to April. (+ we did try D-ribose, but not bc Dr Oz recommended it)

Donnica"

Dreambirdie

work in progress
MY LETTER TO DR OZ SHOW

My inquiry is: Why is Dr Oz spreading misinformation about CFS?

I am a member of a large forum (of over 800 active members) of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) patients. I write to speak for many of us who are shocked and infuriated with Dr Oz's very recent GMA segment with George S., in which he recommended CFS patients DRINK GREEN TEA and take RIBOSE to help relieve them of their symptoms. What was he thinking?!

Doesn't Dr Oz remember, from his own show's segment last December with Donnica Moore, that CFS is a serious debilitating and infectious neuro immune disease, that has a retroviral component? Here's a link to refresh his memory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WEUC7hRXzM

And here is another link for more information about CFS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7VdXX9P58w

We PWC's who have been ill with this condition for so many years, and some of us for decades, would really appreciate it if Dr Oz could go back on GMA and make the necessary corrections.

thank you XXXXXXXXX

Wayne

EMAIL NOTE FROM DR DONNICA:

"Aargh! I will check it out + get back to you. I've been traveling + just returned so am WAY behind on email etc. But pleased to report that Brian is in a remission phase + doing great! He's even playing a little soccer w his old team! This is a kid who was bed-ridden or housebound from Nov to April. (+ we did try D-ribose, but not bc Dr Oz recommended it)

Donnica"

Hi again Dreambirdie,

Thanks for the response from Dr. Donnica. Gives me hope that this will get some attention at both ABC News and with Dr. Oz. You've actually got me on somewhat of a roll here this morning. I just went back to ABC's GMA and left a followup comment:

This is a followup e-mail regarding my dismay with Dr. Oz's remarks regarding CFS, and how a simple solution for "many folks with CFS" is drinking green tea sweetened with D-Ribose. George Stephanopolos is so good at calling politicians on some of their outrageous assertions, because he knows politics, and knows the games they play.

Unfortunately, George doesn't understand health issues as well, even though it appears he has a better understanding of ME/CFS than Dr. Oz. Just wanted to mention that I sure wish George would have called Dr. Oz on his ridiculous green tea assertion, an assertion that fully deserved the kind of robust challenge he often makes with misleading politicians.

C

Cloud

<----scratching my head confused. Why does Dr Oz still not get it after all that pounding they took last year over the very issue of equating CFS to exhaustion. He did the show with Dr T...and then we pounded him with email on his lack of understanding of CFS....he seemed gracious in agreeing to a redo which turned out to be a much more informed show....not perfect, but better. Now we are back to exhaustion and treating it with tea and d-ribose? Sounds to me like it's the producers confusing the message, because Dr Oz must know better by now, especially after talking with WPI reps. He may be regretting putting his reputation at the mercy of a tv network. Anyhow, I do like the idea of getting hold of George S.

I know we all respond differently to things, but a year of quality D-Ribose didn't do a thing for me except drain my wallet. I think the reason is (for me) that it does no good to directly fuel dysfunctional and damaged mitochondria without first correcting the cause of it's malfunction. I think the same is true for taking L-Carnitine. It's like holding the gas and the brake both to the floor. Just my theory.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Wayne--

It's amazing how much I can get done when I'm wired, exhausted and pissed off.

The two of us are a force to be reckoned with this morning.

dannybex

Hi Wayne--

It's amazing how much I can get done when I'm wired, exhausted and pissed off.

LOL!

I too thank you DB for all you did in getting the man behind the curtain to do the original show six+ months ago -- and for writing Dr. Moore -- that was a great idea -- I'm sure she'll be able to eventually get GMA to do another segment in the next month or so -- especially if/when the FDA/NIH study comes out.

Having said that, I'm not at all surprised that Oz still doesn't get it. He and his show are all about quick fixes, easy answers, and making HIM look like the 'go-to' man for those answers. And of course he doesn't have them...

Forbin

I feel inspired to write a book entitled From Fatigued to Furious. I bet it would sell.

justinreilly

I feel inspired to write a book entitled From Fatigued to Furious. I bet it would sell.

Nice!!

I posted:

"Oz said there are two simple ways to handle the problem [CFS]: add cordyceps pills" and take D Ribose." Seriously, ME/CFIDS is a devastating neuro-immune disease more disabling than other 'fatiguing' diseases such as AIDS, MS or Leukemia. Really, please cover the real story which is that CDC and NIH have been persecuting us for a quarter century and that there are NEW HUMAN RETROVIRUSES- XMRV and related MuLVs circulating in the blood supply according to NIH's Dr. Alter. The study in which he makes this discovery has been blocked from publication by his superiors at DHHS. This is just like DHHS allowing HIV to circulate unchecked in the blood supply when they knew it was there. And the Band Plays On again.

BEG

So Oz thinks he's the wizard with all the answers? Well, let the impersonator follow the yellow brick road to obscurity.

xrayspex

george s.

george might be the more important one to write? maybe he reaches more people and we want that news show to know about all this xmrv controversy we should write him about that as part of oz response

Recovery Soon

In short, he said that, "It's (CFS) a short circuit of your energy system"; "Ironically, you can treat that short-circuiting by doing a couple of simple things for yourself...". He then talks briefly about drinking green tea sweetened with D-Ribose, and finishes by saying, "It's one of the things that I think is the easiest solution for a lot of folks who have CFS...."

He is getting this straight from Teitelbaum, who is one of his "experts" Energy crisis- what a joke.

*GG*

<----scratching my head confused. Why does Dr Oz still not get it after all that pounding they took last year over the very issue of equating CFS to exhaustion. He did the show with Dr T...and then we pounded him with email on his lack of understanding of CFS....he seemed gracious in agreeing to a redo which turned out to be a much more informed show....not perfect, but better. Now we are back to exhaustion and treating it with tea and d-ribose? Sounds to me like it's the producers confusing the message, because Dr Oz must know better by now, especially after talking with WPI reps. He may be regretting putting his reputation at the mercy of a tv network. Anyhow, I do like the idea of getting hold of George S.

I know we all respond differently to things, but a year of quality D-Ribose didn't do a thing for me except drain my wallet. I think the reason is (for me) that it does no good to directly fuel dysfunctional and damaged mitochondria without first correcting the cause of it's malfunction. I think the same is true for taking L-Carnitine. It's like holding the gas and the brake both to the floor. Just my theory.

Hopefully it was just something with the production. I am not going to waste my time either in trying to "educate" him.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
He is definitely Teitelbaum's bed buddy. He has made a lot of other groups mad as well, by making light of the seriousness of their particular disease. His answer to everything is green tea, cordyceps and Vitamin D. Most of the time if he has someone in the audience ask a question, he will spit out some blurg of a comment and walk of from them. He needs to stick with the "health facts" like how much fat and sugar we eat each year and do his "guinea pig" weight loss people. His show is only 30 minutes and it has at least 15 minutes worth of commercials. I really think he is a pretty intelligent guy, but he has rode on Oprah's back into a position where he has lost touch with how serious some of these diseases are and how demeaning it is to go on national TV ridicule people inflicted with these deseases with comepletely unfounded treatment suggestions. I do not believe his show will be renewed another year. I personally wish he would take a disease and focus the entire show on it and really dig into it deep. He could cover CFS, Autism, Lymes, MS and Morgellons. I'm just geussing, but I imagine the truth behind all of these diseases are different than they were 3-5 years ago and they are all getting stiffeled due to politics and bureaucracies. It would be nice to see him pull a stunt like demanding that the FDA/NIH paper be released and challenge (the UK I believe) to unseal the documents that they have sealed. Now that would make a good show!! Oh well!!