• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Early response to equilibrant

Gingergrrl

Is the danger to doing oxymatrine if you haven’t had a full workup for autoimmunity overstated? If anything I think I may have Hashimoto but not other autoimmune diseases

I don't know if it is overstated but when I did a one-time consult with Dr. Chia in early 2016, he said that I was not a candidate for oxymatrine/Equalibriant b/c I had Hashimoto's (and MCAS). At that time we did not yet know that I had a positive ANA, 7/9 positive Cell Trend autoantibodies, Autoimmune POTS, and the positive autoantibodies from Mayo Clinic (GAD65 and LEMS autoantibodies). I found out all of that other stuff starting the following month but from Hashi's alone, he said I was not a candidate to try it.

Edit: Can you get tested for Hashi's if you suspect that you have it?

frozenborderline

I don't know if it is overstated but when I did a one-time consult with Dr. Chia in early 2016, he said that I was not a candidate for oxymatrine/Equalibriant b/c I had Hashimoto's (and MCAS). At that time we did not yet know that I had a positive ANA, 7/9 positive Cell Trend autoantibodies, Autoimmune POTS, and the positive autoantibodies from Mayo Clinic (GAD65 and LEMS autoantibodies). I found out all of that other stuff starting the following month but from Hashi's alone, he said I was not a candidate to try it.

Edit: Can you get tested for Hashi's if you suspect that you have it?
I should do a test for hashis but have been too sick to go out to my pcp even. When I improve a little and do go out hopefully I will get that test. I think I should have a very full workup for autoimmunity however

godlovesatrier

Updates, Updates. First of all, I saw Dr. CHia again for appointment #2 at about 4 months after the first appointment. more on that later. I am also seeing Stanford CFS clinic in about three weeks.

the non-flu flu-like illness lasted pretty bad for about two weeks, continued in various forms for another 2-4 weeks. and at almost 2 months later seems like it was in the past. WHat is very interesting is that in the aftermath of this non-flu flu-like illness I have managed to get off of Ambien and generally sleep at night. I still wake up during the night but I sleep much better than I have in a while (and without ambien!). which seems like a huge improvement to me. I have managed to get off of ambien for short periods of time before, but this seems better than those periods. It has been at least 2 weeks without ambien. I just went all the way to california and came all the way back without ambien (except for the flight, but that is a permitted exception in my book). Only time will tell if it holds. I do take 25mg of seroquel for sleep, but I hope to titrate off of that shortly.

My poop looks bad again (usually soft and mushy, frequent diarrhea). I suspect there is still something everyone is missing, but one thing at a time.

Dr. Chia increased my Equilibrant to 3x2 day (6 total/day) He also gave me instructions to take inosine and possibly eventually start LDN (which was previously prescribed, but I hadn't started) I'll see him again in 4 months.

Hi Jim,

How was your follow up appointment with Dr Chia? and how did you feel when you went up to 3x2 equilibrant tablets per day?

Thanks.