• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dynamic Epigenetic Changes during a Relapse and 2 Recovery Cycle in ME/CFS (Helliwell et al, 2022)

Preprint paper here:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.02.24.22270912v1

Precision medicine can determine how each patient responds individually during variations in their long-term illness. We apply precision medicine here to map genomic changes in two selected ME/CFS patients through a relapse recovery cycle.

Results
DNA was isolated from Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells (PBMCs) from two patients and a healthy age/gender matched control in a longitudinal study to capture a patient relapse. Reduced representation DNA methylation sequencing profiles were obtained from each time point spanning the relapse recovery cycle. Both patients throughout the time course showed a significantly larger methylome variability (10-20 fold) compared with the control. During the relapse changes in the methylome profiles of the two patients were detected in regulatory-active regions of the genome that were associated respectively with 157 and 127 downstream genes, indicating disturbed metabolic, immune and inflammatory functions occurring during the relapse.

Conclusions
Severe health relapses in ME/CFS patients result in functionally important changes in their DNA methylomes that, while differing among patients, lead to similar compromised physiology. DNA methylation that is a signature of disease variability in ongoing ME/CFS may have practical applications for strategies to decrease relapse frequency.

Any thoughts? It looks promising but my knowledge of epigenetics isnt deep enough to figure out how it helps. Can we get individually tested anywhere?

Pyrrhus

Thanks for posting this preprint from Warren Tate's group!

There is a previous article by the same authors, which might inform this paper:

Changes in DNA methylation profiles of [ME/CFS] patients reflect systemic dysfunctions (Helliwell et al. 2020)
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...emic-dysfunctions-helliwell-et-al-2020.81953/

P.S.
Here's the full abstract of the new preprint in case anyone's interested:
Background Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a complex disease with variable severity throughout the ongoing illness. Patients experience relapses where symptoms increase in severity, leaving them with a marked reduction in quality of life. Previous work has investigated molecular differences between ME/CFS patients and healthy controls, but the dynamic changes specific to each individual patient are unknown. Precision medicine can determine how each patient responds individually during variations in their long-term illness. We apply precision medicine here to map genomic changes in two selected ME/CFS patients through a relapse recovery cycle.

Results DNA was isolated from Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells (PBMCs) from two patients and a healthy age/gender matched control in a longitudinal study to capture a patient relapse. Reduced representation DNA methylation sequencing profiles were obtained from each time point spanning the relapse recovery cycle. Both patients throughout the time course showed a significantly larger methylome variability (10-20 fold) compared with the control. During the relapse changes in the methylome profiles of the two patients were detected in regulatory-active regions of the genome that were associated respectively with 157 and 127 downstream genes, indicating disturbed metabolic, immune and inflammatory functions occurring during the relapse.

Conclusions Severe health relapses in ME/CFS patients result in functionally important changes in their DNA methylomes that, while differing among patients, lead to similar compromised physiology. DNA methylation that is a signature of disease variability in ongoing ME/CFS may have practical applications for strategies to decrease relapse frequency.

Rufous McKinney

It was really fun to drag myself out of bed, crawl to the living room to announce to my spouse that at least 157 genes and maybe 127 more genes are being subjected to epigenetic alterations.

godlovesatrier

Just a thought as with Remission Biomes spontaneous remission - currently in about 4 female patients I think and Nicotines spontaneous remission in long term ME patients, one guy 28 years, another woman about 30. It's possible that only a few of their genes are switched into a bad form and that the interaction with the epigentic layer causes those genes to be switched back resulting in return to normality for the lucky ones.

But maybe amoxiclav - remission biomes primary antibiotic is doing something similair.

Like I know that b vitamins and their upstream needs don't fix methylation for everyone, but methylation may not be the only route by which epigentic switching occurs. Also the body might not be able to self regulate and much like a heart needs a jolt to be arrested back to life, the body might need an epigentic jolt to get the genes in abberant form working again.