• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drunk on yeast!

southwestforests

That is interesting!

Oh, I so totally understand,
And aside from one relapse that occurred after he binged on pizza and soda ...
As an aside, Dr Pepper and Fitz's Grape would be my binge sodas of choice.
And then you take a good quality supreme flavor frozen pizza, dice up about four or five garlic cloves, sprinkle that on the pizza ...
Oh, and whatever it is ... it doesn't have enough garlic in it unless and until it makes your nose run.

Prefect

Your pizza story made my mouth water.

Sometimes I crave raw garlic for some reason and eat one. I try not to overdo it though as I have this (likely superstitious) thinking that raw garlic may kill good bacteria in the gut. But I do consume almost a whole raw onion a day with food, I love it.

southwestforests

This may be of interest as a general reference, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249897/
I liked garlic before knowing any of that.
That one name I know from having been big in to WW2 history,

At the time when antibiotics and other pharmacy products did not exist, a bulb of garlic itself represented a whole pharmacy industry due to the broad spectrum of effects. Most different suppositions involving this herb are mentioned; some of them were so pointless that they disappeared in time, but some of them have remained until the present days. The garlic was given different names that are still in use such as ‘Russian penicillin’, ...

Recently there has been scientific research into garlic, and good results have been obtained in healing many diseases, from which for thousands years nations from various continents had been protecting themselves and healing by using garlic. Therefore, there is an increased necessity of research on the history of garlic for the sake of reinforcing the ability of pharmacists and physicians to respond to the challenges arising in the provision of professional services in order to facilitate human life.

Medical properties of garlic
Garlic has a slight, imperceptible smell until it has been peeled. Once it is peeled, sliced or crushed, it immediately begins to spread an intense smell, distinctive of all plants (horse radish, mustard etc.) that contain sulfur's glycosides. All of these drugs have more or less a sharp smell; in touch with the skin, one feels heat first, then pain. It is been a long since people learned that by distillation with water vapor, garlic yields etheric oil with its characteristic sharp smell. The examination of the chemical content of that oil commenced in 1844. In 1892 and later, it was confirmed that garlic consists of several aliphatic unsaturated sulfur compounds. As late as in 1944, the oily, colorless, unstable substance called allicin was isolated from garlic by Cavallito and Bailey. Later it was established that allicin has strong bactericide power. Even in dilution 1 : 85000 to 1 : 250000, allicin showed antibacterial activity against certain gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.[10] In 1947, the chemical formula of allicin was determined. In 1947 another compound called alliin, with needle-shaped crystals without smell, was isolated. Alliin has no antibacterial action but by adding the enzyme alliinase from fresh garlic, allicin having strong antibacterial action is produced.[3]

As indicated by a number of studies, not only does garlic have nutritional components that are vital for the human body but also it can be used against different diseases. It is particularly important in nutrition and in medicine given that it contains compounds such as, sulfur's compounds (alliin, allicin, diallyl sulfide, ajoene etc.) water, cellulose, amino acids, lipids, etheric oil, complex of fructosans (carbohydrates), steroid saponosides, organic acids, minerals (Mg, Zn, Se, germanium), vitamins (C, A, from B complex), enzymes etc.[11]

The action of garlic is manifold. Because of allicin and other sulfur compounds, garlic has antibiotic, antibacterial and antimycotic action, which has been testified by in vitro studies.[5,12,13] The allicin is excreted partly by the respiratory organs; therefore garlic is used to treat respiratory tract diseases. The French phytotherapist Lecraec used garlic tincture in treatment of a patient with pulmonary gangrene. The patient recovered in 17 days.[14]

Recent studies have revealed that ...

DogLover

I saw a video by BeyondMTHFR that candida interferes with methylation by producing alcohol.

One thing about this article that stuck out was the fact that, after a round of antibiotics, he got massive brain fog and depression. As someone who's been suffering from brain fog, I wondered if previous antibiotic usage is a cofactor in it. Here we have a clear case where that is the problem, and anti-fungals seemed to help him.

From what I know though, fungal overgrowth in the intestines is not viewed as being able to cause cognitive symptoms (though I saw one paper where brain fog was possibly linked to SIBO, but that's another story) by doctors. So how would one go about being tested/evaluated for this?