• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drugs thyroid toxicity

pattismith

ME/CFS patients should pay attention to everything that can disrupt their thyroid hormons.

Some of my symptoms were worse with antibiotics (metronidazole, doxycycline, azithromcine, clarythromycine), and I thought for sometime that it was related to mitochondrial toxicity, or even to microbiome toxicity....

I finally tested for a full thyroid panel and discovered I had a Low T3 syndrome.
I started to supplement with T3 and I improved quickly for Head pressure/muscle burning and pain and weakness and walking difficulties.

I realized that the side effects I had from these ATB was related to my Low T3 syndrome, which means that they all had a worsening effect on my syndrome.

I only found a confirmation that Macrolides can do such a thing in the article below, but Tetra are also known to have some thyroid impact.

@heapsreal

"Drug Effects

A large number of drugs is known to influence thyroid function interfering with various mechanisms of thyroid hormone metabolism (363).

Lithium and aminoglutethimide decrease thyroid hormone secretion.

A high iodine load, as it ensues from amiodarone and/or radiocontrast dye application, decreases both central and peripheral deiodinases activity (364368).

In addition to causing hypodeiodination, amiodarone has antagonistic actions on T3 signaling, presumably due to its molecular similarity to thyroid hormones (369, 370).

Dopamine, glucocorticoids, and somatostatin analogs suppress TSH release (371).

Thyroxine absorption is altered by multiple substances including caffeine, bile acid sequestrants, sucralfate, ferrous sulfate, and aluminum hydroxide (372). This results in disruption of the enterohepatic circulation of thyroid hormones, thus contributing to reduced half-life.

Moreover, many drugs alter thyroxine and triiodothyronine transport in serum such as estrogens, tamoxifen, heroin, methadone, mitotane, androgens, anabolic steroids, furosemide, NSAIDs, and salicylates by either increasing or decreasing TBG concentration or displacing them from protein-binding sites (363, 373).

Antiepileptic drugs such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, and carbamazepine increase hepatic metabolism of thyroxine and triiodothyronine.
In addition to amiodarone propylthiouracil, macrolides, and unselective beta-adrenergic blockers inhibit the activity of type 1 deiodinase (374), while sorafenib is able to increase D3 activity (375)."

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
ME/CFS patients should pay attention to everything that can disrupt their thyroid hormons.

Some of my symptoms were worse with antibiotics (metronidazole, doxycycline, azithromcine, clarythromycine), and I thought for sometime that it was related to mitochondrial toxicity, or even to microbiome toxicity....

I finally tested for a full thyroid panel and discovered I had a Low T3 syndrome.
I started to supplement with T3 and I improved quickly for Head pressure/muscle burning and pain and weakness and walking difficulties.

I realized that the side effects I had from these ATB was related to my Low T3 syndrome, which means that they all had a worsening effect on my syndrome.

I only found a confirmation that Macrolides can do such a thing in the article below, but Tetra are also known to have some thyroid impact.

@heapsreal

"Drug Effects

A large number of drugs is known to influence thyroid function interfering with various mechanisms of thyroid hormone metabolism (363).

Lithium and aminoglutethimide decrease thyroid hormone secretion.

A high iodine load, as it ensues from amiodarone and/or radiocontrast dye application, decreases both central and peripheral deiodinases activity (364368).

In addition to causing hypodeiodination, amiodarone has antagonistic actions on T3 signaling, presumably due to its molecular similarity to thyroid hormones (369, 370).

Dopamine, glucocorticoids, and somatostatin analogs suppress TSH release (371).

Thyroxine absorption is altered by multiple substances including caffeine, bile acid sequestrants, sucralfate, ferrous sulfate, and aluminum hydroxide (372). This results in disruption of the enterohepatic circulation of thyroid hormones, thus contributing to reduced half-life.

Moreover, many drugs alter thyroxine and triiodothyronine transport in serum such as estrogens, tamoxifen, heroin, methadone, mitotane, androgens, anabolic steroids, furosemide, NSAIDs, and salicylates by either increasing or decreasing TBG concentration or displacing them from protein-binding sites (363, 373).

Antiepileptic drugs such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, and carbamazepine increase hepatic metabolism of thyroxine and triiodothyronine.
In addition to amiodarone propylthiouracil, macrolides, and unselective beta-adrenergic blockers inhibit the activity of type 1 deiodinase (374), while sorafenib is able to increase D3 activity (375)."

When i say T3 syndrome, do you mean high reverse T3?

pattismith

effects of Clemastine (anti histaminic drug) on Thyroid Hormons and Sex hormons here

upload_2018-2-9_23-3-44.png

Fig. 3: The antihistaminic effect of clemastine on male and female thyroid hormonal axis. There are significant increases (*) of female and male thyroid-stimulating hormone, triiodothyronine, and thyroxine thyroid hormones when comparing control with patients treated with clemastine (p<0.05)

upload_2018-2-9_23-5-26.png

Fig. 4: The therapeutic effect of clemastine on male and female fasting insulin and cortisol levels taken in morning and evening. There are significant decreases (*) of male and female cortisol (morning) and female fasting insulin, while significant increases (*) of male and female cortisol (evening) when comparing control with patients treated with clemastine (p<0.05)

upload_2018-2-9_23-8-9.png

Fig. 5: The antihistaminic impact of clemastine on male and female dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) levels. There is a significant decrease (*) of male DHEAS and a significant increase (*) of female DHEAS levels when comparing control with patients treated with clemastine (p<0.05)

upload_2018-2-9_23-9-58.png

Fig. 1: The therapeutic effect of clemastine on male and female, follicle-stimulating hormone, estradiol (E2), luteinizing hormone, and prolactin hormonal profile. There is a significant increase (*) of male and female E2 when comparing control with patients treated with clemastine (p<0.05)

upload_2018-2-9_23-11-13.png

Fig. 2: The antihistaminic effect of clemastine on male and female sex hormones. There are significant increases (*) of female progesterone and testosterone hormones, male progesterone, while a significant decrease of male testosterone when comparing control with patients treated with clemastine (p<0.05)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
yes, Low T3 is usually associated with high rT3, you can see here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tion-in-various-conditions.57635/#post-954760

Ok. Wasnt sure how you were 'measuring' t3 dysfunction.

I havent had RT3 tested but tsh, t3/4, which have been normal. My body temperature use to be under 36c, so it woukdnt suprise me if i had high RT3.

Ive found hydrocortisone helpful and a bump in body temp but rarely use it and when i did it was between 5 and 15mg a day. My dhea was low and my morning cortisol was in the lower third of normal, so i have been on dhea and pregnenolone for cortisol for a few years. This bumped my temps up abit.

Ive had well below range free testosterone since i measured it not long after cfs onset. My total testosterone has continued to fall . Drs dont seem interested in the free T levels only total testosterone which is now in the can. Since adding trt to dhea/pregnenolone my body temps fall around 36.7 to 37c. This was alot more significant then when i tried t3.

Ive tried T3 on its on with low dose increasing to 25mcg a day. T3 actually increased my fatigue, i think at the time was because of low cortisol. With the addition of hydrocortisone T3 was more tolerable but for me nothing startling.

For me, my hormonal issue that has needed treatment for along time but ignored by drs was my low free testosterone. Adding trt has increased my body temp and probably my metabolism and thyroid function, at a guess. Also improvement in my general quality of life.

I guess its about individuals finding which hormone is an issue, if there is one and treat it.

Runner5

Read a weird bit about how fiber, lots of fiber, and the elimination of sugar / processed food / fast food / junk food -- could lower estrogen levels. Since I have fibroids (like little painful cysts) throughout my abdomen (my doc described them like buckshot) that cause me a lot of pain I've been trying a no sugar, no grain, high fiber diet (with very little meat) -- and so far so good. I do feel quite a lot better.

I kept hearing about 'insulin' and weight gain, so I kept trying to lower my insulin to lose a stubborn 30lbs, but had fleeting / dissapointing results. I had gone on so many diets and not much happened other than dreadful yo-yo effect. I could work out consistently and doggedly (prior to CFS) without any effect.

I started wondering if my high estrogen levels might be connected to my low energy / fatigue. If the diet I ate was feeding bad microbes and keeping my estrogen way high due to a lack of fiber. So far actually feel a lot better. But today is my birthday and I don't get cake, and that makes me a little sad ;-P Instead I bought a nice pair of shoes and a decaf Americano. I have actually effortlessly lost weight so far, but I am skeptical because I usually lose and then yo-yo -- only time will tell if it actually works.

I've had my thyroid tested loads, especially having been on Lithium but all tests returned normal.

Wonkmonk

I can confirm that some antibiotics interfere with thyroid hormone supplementation. My thyroid Hormons (both t3 and t4) plunged dramatically while I was on Rifampicin/isoniazid for suspected latent tuberculosis.

In the end, I had to take 400-500µg levothyroxine a day to have decent levels (normal is 150-175µg for me).

I also had the same experience with Cimetidine (a antihistamine), although I stopped it before I could do lab tests, so I don't have final confirmation. But it felt like I was getting dramatically hypo while I took it (1200 mg a day).