• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drinking a lot of water has disrupted my digestion, I feel bloated - help..?

Bansaw

I've resolved to drink more water every day, about the recommended 8 glasses.

While this has helped my cognition, my digestion has suffered. I feel very bloated and uncomfortable.
I have a desk job and dont move around a lot, so I need to be more deliberate about exercise but since my water drinking crusade I've had less regular bowl movements, more random.

Is the water affecting my stomach acid, or something else... any ideas ?

(I add a sprinkle of salt to the water)

pamojja

While this has helped my cognition, my digestion has suffered. I feel very bloated and uncomfortable.

(I add a sprinkle of salt to the water)

I second the idea that a sprinkle of salt probably wont do. And the very likely higher need of other electrolytes. But glad it did improve already cognition.

Beside that, why not go slow to get one's metabolism adjusted more easily? And secondary needs not increasing too fast? - Guess the most likely reason for the bloating is the sudden delution of gastric juices. How about trying 1-2 glasses of water less around meals? Especially 1/2 hr before and 2-3 hrs after meals. And/or increasing the juices with other means, like betain-hcl, herbal bitters or digestive enzymes?

Zebra

Hi, @Bansaw

Have you ever had a gastric emptying study?

The study can test how long liquids and solids stick around in your stomach.

Could it be that your liquid intake is hanging around too long in your belly and making you bloated and uncomfortable?

That's something I wanted to share, based on my own digestive experiences. ;-)

Hope things get better for you!

sb4

Like @Zebra said it could be mild gastroparesis. Or you could be diluting your stomach acid too much with water. My digestion suffers with water after a meal.