• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dreaming again with TENS on my neck (100 Hz), and less moving legs

pattismith

I don't have POTS, but brain and spine pains.
(slight cervical deviation of unknown origin)

I don't recall my dreams for a long time now.

But then, I tried my TENS on my neck during the night (all night long), and I can recall my dreams on the morning almost every time I do it.

I also notice that my moving morning legs in bed are not moving any longer these times.

Very happy even though I would prefer nicer dreams... maybe if I try another Hz!

sb4

Where are you placing it on your neck (back of cervical?)? I remember reading that TENS shouldn't be done on left (?) ear due to possibly causing heart arythmias due to a certain nerve or something that runs through. Perhaps this nerve also runs down the neck. If so it would be wise to avoid it.

pattismith

Where are you placing it on your neck (back of cervical?)? I remember reading that TENS shouldn't be done on left (?) ear due to possibly causing heart arythmias due to a certain nerve or something that runs through. Perhaps this nerve also runs down the neck. If so it would be wise to avoid it.
I put the four electrods behind the skull, under the hairs, along cervical spine. I think I avoid the vagus nerve which travels under the ear along internal jugular vein.

IMG_2356.JPG

Last edited:

pattismith

I wonder if I may have a problem with muscarinic acetylcholine receptors that alters my REM sleep...

Can Acetylcholine make you dream?

Previous studies have shown an increase in Acetylcholine (ACh) in neocortex and hip- pocampus during different activities of wakefulness and REM sleep5.

[COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]Muscarinic cholinergic receptors are essential for REM sleep, as it has been demonstrated with the knockout of the Chrm1 and Chrm3 genes[/COLOR]6. Neocortical activation in REM sleep is sustained mainly by ACh, this creates a state of arousal without any simultaneous input from other neurotransmitters, and this may be responsible for the incoherent and bizarre character of the dream which cannot be recalled7. ACh has also got a de nitive role in memory consolidation and retrieval.

Cortical cholinergic neurons, which are stimulated by RAS may be responsible for the retrieval of events, facts, gures, places, etc. This phenomenon is substantiated by the fact that adults with certain brain areas damaged may not be able to dream at all and as children don’t have much developed cognitive domain, they only develop dreaming after cognition development8. The signi cance of ACh in dreaming is further substantiated clinically, as Galantamine (Acetylcholine esterase inhibitor) is considered to be an effective agent to induce lucid dreams9.
Considering the activity of ACh in maintenance of REM sleep and induction of lucid dreams by cholinergic potentiating agents,
[COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]it is possible that cholinergic activity is essential for generating the contents of dreams[/COLOR]. Further, there is possibility that dreams are secondary to cholinergic activation, as ACh is primarily responsible for generating REM sleep. These conclu- sions need to be evaluated under experimental and clinical settings.
page1image15252

Alok Singh MBBS, MD.
E-mail: draloksingh@aiimsraipur.edu.in Received: February 21, 2019; Accepted: June 05, 2019.

Rufous McKinney

I don't recall my dreams for a long time now.

Do you experience this as: just not remembering having dreamed at all?

I know I am doing quite a bit of dreaming. Its my recall of it: it teflons out of there immediately.

I've been in a big rest for two months..(trying, at least, to Boink Back to Life). I am having more dreams and remember a bit more of them: like a snapshot- thats at least tidbit for the imagination.

I take ldn, but did not ever notice the more intense dreaming symptom....

pattismith

Do you experience this as: just not remembering having dreamed at all?

It can be hard to tell if it's your dreaming ability or your recall ability that is impaired. Sleep testing/recording should be helpful to track your REM sleep (the sleep part devoted to dreams) in order to understand exactly what happens. I suspect mine is altered.

REM sleep depends on cells in the brainstem (base of the skull), and studies found that these cells are often the first altered in some neurological diseases like Parkinson. The REM sleep is also frequently altered in some neuro-muscular diseases, and I discovered recently I suffer from one of them...

@Dakota15 mine is TENS eco 2 from Schwa-medico, it's a french brand.
The dreams came at a low intensity with programme P6 which is alternates 100Hz and 2Hz currents every 3 seconds. I still need some trials to determine which current is efficient, or if it's the association that works. (This TENS proposes 17 programs so I have not yet explored all of them)