• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drafts, open windows

Dmitri

Drafts behave in a different way from raw wind. Indoors, sitting in front of an open window is very sickening for me. Immediate symptoms include sore throat, mucus, dizziness, eventually progressing to intestinal spams, headaches, fever, etc.

When the wind enters a home, it "creeps" to an exit, usually another window. This effect also enables it to sweep across the body in a more severe way. My apartment has the unfortunate combination of east and west windows, being very poorly built and failing to seal out incoming drafts. The wind won't hurt me outdoors, but in the same weather, sitting indoors with an open window will make me ill.

Talking about how complex drafts are and how they can hurt someone here will make one look crazy, but it's common knowledge in other parts of the world. A search led me to this forum. That thread quickly demonstrates the ignorance of the general populace, and how they will dismiss the symptoms of others unless they experience it themselves.

ukxmrv

That's interesting Dmitri, I've got "air hunger" which means that I keep the windows open much of the time and even in winter. Seems to be common in my family.

Don't feel comfortable with wind ouside though (it does feel uncomfortable on my body and one has to fight more to keep upright). .However I don't notice the drafts inside (although I might be lucky about my home).

Do you get "air hunger" and how does that make you feel about the drafts?

Dmitri

Winds also cause discomfort to me, particularely strong cold air in winter, but an equally powerful draft is exponentially worse. I also have symptoms that feel like the words: "air hunger"

Breathing is very hard for me, due to a combinations of symptoms. Humid or poorly aired places are inhabitable to me. A draft would make it worse, as those symptoms would be increased making air even harder to inhale. I also have pectus excavatum, so my lungs cannot expand all the way because the sunken ribs get in the way.

Several years ago, I felt compelled to have a draft blow across me after swimming in a pool. The chlorine caused burning so I wanted coldness on my body, but the cold air itself actually causes more burning for me...

*GG*

Winds also cause discomfort to me, particularely strong cold air in winter, but an equally powerful draft is exponentially worse. I also have symptoms that feel like the words: "air hunger"

Breathing is very hard for me, due to a combinations of symptoms. Humid or poorly aired places are inhabitable to me. A draft would make it worse, as those symptoms would be increased making air even harder to inhale. I also have pectus excavatum, so my lungs cannot expand all the way because the sunken ribs get in the way.

Several years ago, I felt compelled to have a draft blow across me after swimming in a pool. The chlorine caused burning so I wanted coldness on my body, but the cold air itself actually causes more burning for me...

Hey, how did you weather Sandy? Hope you are not any worse off.

GG

Drafts behave in a different way from raw wind. Indoors, sitting in front of an open window is very sickening for me. Immediate symptoms include sore throat, mucus, dizziness, eventually progressing to intestinal spams, headaches, fever, etc. .

I hear you. I have overhead fans throughout my apartment and I have never turned one on. Sore throats, headaches, pressure in the sinuses, all that. I can't tolerate drafts. But if I go outdoors and stand around in the wind I get the same problems.

Dmitri

Hey, how did you weather Sandy? Hope you are not any worse off.

GG

Thank you for asking. Hurricane Sandy caused monster drafts, and they weren't exclusive to windows. Every crack in the house felt like air was blowing out of it. It did make me feel sick, but I don't think I'm worse now than I was before the hurricane. My mom had more serious reactions to the drafts, including severe intestinal pain.

MishMash Fans and air conditioners also affect me, I get the same symptoms you described. Also a similar instant sore throat effect from placing my feet on the cold floor.