• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DR OZ TODAY (12/3) on CFS/XMRV

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
funniest cognitive moments

Really, we do need a thread on some of our funniest brainfog moments.

Well, guess what, Martlet. There is already a thread called "Your Funniest Cognitive Malfunctions" started by Brown-eyed Girl in the Community Lounge. The last post was made on November 19. Maybe you'd like to start it up again?

Lily

*Believe*
Grrreat idea

Go for it Martlet, and then maybe I'll share one or two......:D

starryeyes

Thank you CFIDS Surfer! I really appreciate it. I'm so brainfogged I read and wrote posts about the Dr. Oz show for the last few weeks but forgot to tape it. Then woke up just in time to catch it but forgot to watch it.

Suddenly my wonderful neighbor calls me up and tells me to hurry and turn on Dr. Oz, they're talking about a retrovirus in CFS. I do but by the time I can get out to the living room and figure out all the remotes, it's pretty much over.

(Sigh)

Do you all realize though that my neighbor actually called me about this? She just happened to be watching it! Wow. We rarely talk because I'm so bad off. I'm lucky she's supportive of me. Her whole family believes me, even her mother does! :)

I thought the show was fantastic. Dr. Donnica was awesome and Gina was very good and boy, she's been through a lot! and I like Dr. Oz, I never watched him before.

If I had been the patient I would have been all, "Excuse me, ahm exercise is a very complicated issue for PWC".

I loved the visual of the retrovirus. So that's how that works? That video screen he uses is incredible. No wonder Dr. Oz is so popular... I really don't think it's his hair. :D

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Dr. Donnica - wonderful job!! You are such a clear speaker and great advocate for our community
Gina - thanks for being so open and sharing your story with the world.
Dr. Oz - you done good. You seemed sincere and caring and handled this with the kind of gravity I had hoped you would.

Dreambirdie, you ought to be proud for your efforts. Gosh, I remember how you coaxed us initially into sending Dr. Oz a letter. You got me to write to him and I'd never even seen his show.

Thanks, Kim. Though "coaxed" is probably an understatement. Pleaded incessantly in desperation??? maybe.

What I learned in the process was that even a group of seriously debilitated, chronically ill, and brain fogged CFS patients can have a POWERFUL influence when they focus their intention on a specific goal. Even from a couch or a bed you can have an influence! As WE did! And that is a really good thing. :cool::cool::cool:

Viva la revolution!

Lily

*Believe*
I agree.....

So what is our next project????????!!!! I guess we will know it when we see it, right????? I'm ready for another one.....;)

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
So what is our next project????????!!!! I guess we will know it when we see it, right????? I'm ready for another one.....;)

Oprah?? As anne pointed out a while back, there's a great Oprah-type story here: heroic mother, fighting the odds and the establishment, founding an institute to find a cure for her daughter's devastating mystery illness...And succeeding!

Lily

*Believe*
Wellllll......

Oprah DID say that she was going to knock our socks off (or something to that effect) during her last 18 months of production - so we'd better get on it!!! Since we started with her beloved Dr Oz, perhaps it wouldn't be as hard as you'd think......Think of it.....a whole hour....and then lots of feedback from all over the world, so she'd do a follow-up show.......OK I'm getting all carried away.......:eek:

Navid

thanks dreambirdie/dr. donnica and gina

thanks to dreambirdie for the inititave in making this happen.
never saw the dr. oz show before and now i know why....he's doofy and dull.

dr. donnica is great. she needs to get 1/2 hour of time to talk about the disease. she's intelligent, articulate and right on point.

i agree that it is important to have a deeper discussion about the range of how this illness affects people. while i appreciate gina...her situation appears to be mild/moderate when compared to mine...if you paid me a trillion dollars i could not force myself to go to work...it is physically impossible...so i think her talk about forcing herself out of bed each day to go to work is misleading...this is the misconception that many have about my condition...if i just push myself i could do it....no, if i push myself i'll faint and have a heart attack.

so while gina still is able to force herself to go on, there are many of us past that point...physically it would be difficult for any of us to be on a tv show...maybe they should include a video clip of someone in bed or on the couch....managing their lives thru a laptop, telephone and/or family/friends

gina did describe very well the defeat and dismay you feel when you first get ill and start seeing dr after dr....and then get called crazy/depressed/malingering, because they can't figure out what's wrong w/you. these dr's that you were raised to respect and trust suddenly treat you like a joke.

One of my good/kind dr's described to me what goes on in many docs minds when a patient like me walks into their office: 40 something white woman, thin, tired with unexplainable fatigue and pain...quickly we are stereotyped: Oh, no one of those...instead of feeling curiousity about our condition, they groan to themselves....another depressed woman. it also pains their med school trained ego that they don't know how to help us...but rather than ever admitting this, they dismiss us as depressed.

When he told me this I realized for the first time in my "privileged white American" life what it meant to stereotyped and looked down upon. It was an eye opening experience.

i'm happy that the program gave our condition some more exposure, but wary that it enforced already held beliefs that if we just push ourselves and/or exercise a little we'll be better....

what's next: a Frontline episode: the history, mystery, suffering and potential new hope in CFID's...the debilitating disease with the corny name.

warmly, lisa

K

kristin

Thanks for posting the YouTube link. Overall I think it was very good. The audience looked scared to death. The last comment about exercise was unfortunate.

And the audience reaction when Gina was told to see a psychiatrist. Priceless!

fresh_eyes

happy to be here
@loldershaw: Hey, if we can get Dr Oz, why the heck not try for Oprah?? I found the online form to suggest a show topic:

"Do you have a great idea for a show? Is there a topic you feel passionately about? Or a person you'd like to see Oprah interview? The producers of The Oprah Winfrey Show want to hear from you!"

https://www.oprah.com/ord/plugform.jsp?plugId=216

Oh, yes, Oprah, there is a topic we feel passionately about.:D

EDIT: Started a new thread on this.

C

cold_taste_of_tears

So Dr Oz, (had previously annoyed me) is now not so in my bad books.

Why?

Because his silly 'Simple Streching' comment is not his idea.
(Phew).

Guess where he got it from?

Yup, our dear friends at the CDC under the advice - Developing an Exercise Program
Link

Regards, your roving reporter.
LOL.....