• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Myhill wins back her licence to practise

I have been asked to post this as a separate thread:

WELCOME BACK DR MYHILL!

GMC REMOVES SUSPENSION

In a stunning turn around at the IOP Hearing today, the GMC has restored Dr Myhill's licence to practice, including the right to prescribe, but have imposed conditions which are largely cosmetic and procedural.
Dr Myhill will now be able to practice again as a doctor.

For the first time the GMC has acknowledged the substantial support from colleagues and members of the public and has accepted that no patient had been harmed or put at risk.

The GMC determination was received late this evening and Sarah wishes to consider it at length in the morning. As soon as possible, it will be posted in full on this website. In the meantime, please raise your glasses and drink to Dr Myhill.

Well done everyone and thank you for all your help and support

Sean

but have imposed conditions which are largely cosmetic and procedural.

Sounds like a face saving exercise to me. Just couldn't simply admit they got it totally wrong.

Min

This is brilliant news!

But how much has this cost her in terms of money and stress? I understand she could not obtain insurance because of previous hounding by the GMC.

Oh wow, that is just fantastic news!
cheeky%20grin.gif
cheeky%20grin.gif
cheeky%20grin.gif

Of course it's right, there will be the question of the damages and stress caused to Dr Myhill - not to mention the stress, hassle, and workload for her supporters throughout this whole disgraceful affair, which is a load of time and effort we're never going to get back, and was a big distraction of our energies from other important campaigning issues.

In a strange way, it's a shame if this means the impending High Court case doesn't get to be heard, nor the human rights issues, and my first guess is that the GMC have backtracked after seeing Dr Myhill's excellent presentation to the last hearing, which I think was the same presentation that was due to be delivered to the High Court. It seems a pretty good bet that their legal advice was that the GMC would be hauled over the coals for the multiple procedural irregularities, and their whole process would come under scrutiny - and rightly so - so it would be a shame if this means that all the offenders in this case get away with it - their necks saved by the weather just before Christmas, perhaps? But I suppose that's a bit negative of me, as a reaction to such good news. I was just anticipating that this whole case would expose a whole load of other important issues, publicly, just as it's alerted me to a lot of issues personally.

The GMC climbdown doesn't have to be a cynical climbdown to save their own skins though. Each hearing is before 3 panellists, and they may well have been different people this time; in theory the panel is supposed to consider the evidence before it on the day, of course, so Dr Myhill's case may just have been stronger this time round. It will be very interesting to hear the full verdict and any explanations they may have to offer - and whether those explanations make any more sense than their previous bizarre verdicts.

But anyway...fantastic! And boy did I need some good news! Thanks for keeping us posted Craig!

:victory::victory::victory:

richvank

Me, too! This is great!

I suspect that the GMC "saw the handwriting on the wall." No doubt they are hoping that their dirty laundry will not be aired in court.

Rich

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Hopefully this is an omen of things to come. The establishment is running scared, and so they should be.

Just to let you all know that the DETERMINATION of the IOP Hearing held yesterday, 6th January 2011, can now be viewed or downloaded from www.supportdrmyhill.co.uk - please follow the links on the home page or from latest news.

Also uploaded is the TRANSCRIPT from the IOP Hearing of 23rd December, 2010.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Iam so happy for Dr.myhill, her patients and all her supporters. Really good news.

Enid

Best news of 2011 so far. Hope this is just the beginning too of a general change in the medical establishment.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
She is absolutely my hero - she recovered from ME and has now beaten these blinking fools ( I nearly put something else:))
I hope she takes them to the cleaners when she goes to the High Court and gets expenses, loss of earnings, stress, damage to reputation etc etc. It'll put the GP's yearly contribution to the GMC up but do we care, nah.