• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Michael Fitzpatrick fights back

SNT Gatchaman

There was some discussion on a sibling forum about this article and its timing in relation to the NICE guideline debacle. It is likely part of a co-ordinated establishment push-back against the bio-medical realities of ME/CFS and long Covid, so more may follow from others.

The author has quite a history, sufficient to earn himself a page on LobbyWatch.

Warning: the below articles will also likely be offensive to anyone reading on this board: not just those with ME and their loved ones, but also PoC given some of the historical references.

An article in the Guardian from 2002
With a follow-up in Spiked-Online also from 2002

---
Gross. Insulting to patients generally ("ME activists" of course) as well as specifically to the Countess of Mar. Cheer yourselves up by re-reading the Countess's scorching letters (1 and 2) to Simon Wessely from 2012.
:jaw-drop: :angel:

nerd

Difficult to tell if this piece is about ME or about himself and how superior his own opinion is. He doesn't want to follow the scientific process. Who's fault must it be? Of course these "ME activists". Sure, they do this because they have no other hobbies - not because they actually suffer and are forced to do harmful therapies. Let's just willfully ignore this and reiterate how perfect and superior the psychological community is.

Let's argue for psychotherapy by mentioning how the body and mind are inseparable but at the same time, let's draw a black and white picture that this fatigue thing is purely psychological in nature because it can't be physiological because there's no prove (because no one looked for one back in 2002). Purely psychological disease can exist, purely physiological disease can not, what a double standard. Of course, his pure and only motivation is to help these patients, out of pure compassion. Because ME patients are the only patients he can help. There aren't any alternatives.