• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Mehlsen's Study: ME/CFS Following HPV Vaccination

Gemini

Dr. Mehlsen presented findings at the IIME Conference May 31, 2019 of ME/CFS occurring in patients following HPV vaccination in a large Danish study.

Interestingly he discovered autoantibodies to Beta-2 and M2 receptors both previously implicated in ME/CFS as well as to nociceptin opioid peptide (NOP) receptors:

Mehlsen Autoantibodies After HPV Vaccination  IIMEC14 2019.JPG

He noted the autoantibodies are directed at the autonomic nervous system:

Mehlsen MECFS After HPV Vaccination Conclusions  IIMEC14 2019.JPG

He now plans to work with a German collaborator to remove the autoantibodies to try to determine what role, if any, they play in the disease.

A video of his entire 25-minute talk is here:
www.investinme.org/IIMEC14.shtml

@Hip posted an informative chart two years ago about vaccines in general, including HPV, here:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...r-cfs-me-help-needed.48154/page-3#post-806947

Last edited:

Sidny

I wonder what happens exactly in the vaccinated group that develops antibodies vs the ones that don’t. Clearly vaccines aren’t completely risk proof.

@Gemini have any developments on this front been made since this talk in 2009? Is this conference still taking place annually?

borko2100

The body is so incredibly complex, making the asumption that all vaccines are perfectly safe is quite arrogant in my opinion. For a small minority of people vaccines can lead to quite severe consequences, this is another proof of that.

What worries me is that if this minority is small enough, they might be written off as a 'necessary evil'. This raises a quite difficult ethical question: If a vaccine can improve the health of society as a whole, at the cost of the health of a small minority, should it still be done? In other words, should we sacrfice the wellfare of indivuduals for the sake of the welfare of society? I have no answer to this.

Gemini

@Gemini have any developments on this front been made since this talk in 2009?
@Sidny thank you for posting. Edited the post, added "2019" date of the talk. Sorry for the confusion.

Your question about patients without antibodies is interesting. Am hoping Mehlsen will publish this study (he said he would during the Q&A) with more details. For example his bar graph above indicates there were some vaccinated who had the antibodies but not symptoms.

Maybe multiple factors are at play i.e. he found HLA DQB1*03 which predisposes to autoimmune disease:

Mehlsen HLA Associated with Autoimmune Disease  IIMEC14  2014.JPG

Gemini

This raises a quite difficult ethical question: If a vaccine can improve the health of society as a whole, at the cost of the health of a small minority, should it still be done?
@borko2100 Mehlsen said it was very difficult for him "politically" to study that small minority given the larger vaccine issue you raise.

During the Q&A the audience applauded his work and encouraged him to widely publish his findings.

If the exact causes of adverse reactions were known perhaps they could be screened for and prevented in the future. I wonder if such knowledge would increase confidence in vaccines, in general? Don't know.

Hip

There is a simple, safe and cheap treatment for HPV vaccine-induced ME/CFS detailed here, which involves applying zinc chloride solution to the nasopharynx. The treatment improves most case of HPV vaccine ME/CFS, and actually cures 25% of cases.