• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Klimas' IIME 2019 Talk: "Integrative Medicine" Treatments for ME/CFS Patients

Gemini

At the IIME Conference on May 31, 2019 Dr. Nancy Klimas presented various "Integrative Medicine" treatments currently available for ME/CFS patients.

She illustrated the multisystem nature of ME/CFS and indicated why an "Integrative Medicine" approach is feasible:

Klimas MECFS Multisystem chart   IIMEC14   2019.JPG

She then reviewed specific treatment modalities for various symptoms:

Klimas MECFS Treatment Modalities  IIMEC14  2019.JPG

Klimas MECFS Treatment Modalities 2  IIMEC14  2019.JPG

A 25-minute video of her talk is here with the discussion of specific treatments starting at 13:39:
www.investinme.org/IIMEC14.shtml

She noted she's awaiting IRB approval to begin her "Homeostasis Reset" Treatment Trial involving (1)targeting neuroinflammation and (2) rebooting the HPA axis.

Interesting update worth a watch...

Last edited:

junkcrap50

Not real impressed with her emotions/mind-body section that includes CBT & hypnotherapy. I am SO tired of being told this is “all in my head”
From her slide, it seems like she was saying that as a treatment for emotional consequences of having this disease. Not as a treatment for ME/CFS. She knows very well that its a physiological pathology.

Gemini

For sleep, brain cooling treatment recalls Younger's interesting brain temperature research.

Use of genetics to select type of folate supplementation might argue for N-of-1 designed treatment trials vs random controlled trials in the future.

Wish they had given her more time to cover MCAS and diet.

Last edited:

Gemini

She knows very well that its a physiological pathology.
@junkcrap50 and if I remember correctly her group was one of the first if not the first to adopt a systems approach vs silo approach leading to the "Homeostasis Reset" hypothesis.

Sorry to hear her longtime colleague Maryann Fletcher, another strong patient advocate, is retiring. She'll be missed.