• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. John Chia Visit Recap

Dallase1

Well he basically checked all my blood work and history and said I “fit the illness”, meaning my immune abnormalities let the enterovirus take residence in my stomach and possibly other areas. I had the stomach biopsy showing enterovirus. He then went on to say they can affect the brain and was adamant about the research that has been done to prove enteroviruses reside in hosts.

I had a C Diff infection last year which he said was a blessing in diguise because it primed my immune system to go into “attack mode”. I have subsequently developed stomach issues which he attributed to the body attacking the virus. I have actually felt better over the last several months. He recommended not to take anything else to “power up” my immune system because it can be too much since he believes my body is fighting the virus. He said that LDN wasn’t that great, he said epivir only works mildly in 30% of patients, he told me to try a low dose of Quercetin for my stomach issues, and not to retest the viruses for two years. He says Epstein Barr is not the causative agent.

He then told me not to post this but they have developed an enterovirus drug and it should be out within two years. But anything could happen.
There was ALOT he said so ask any other questions you may have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jennifer J

@Dallase1, hi! Back in May you were considering oxymatrine and other treatments. Did you try oxymatrine and anything else? If so are you still on oxymatrine? How much, how long and how did it go for you?

I heard at the 3 month point of being on oxymatrine Dr. Chia wants to run (?)blood tests. Curious if he did and what they were? Thanks.

I called yesterday to schedule a follow up appointment with him. They need to see me as a more comprehensive appointment patient since I haven't seen him in over a year (it's been 4 1/2). Which they don't have til November or December of 2019!

If I remember correctly, I had high Coxsackie B4 and B5.

I started oxymatrine 2 weeks ago. I'll need to figure out what blood tests I'll need at the 3 month point. Which I think I'll count the 3 months from when I titrate up to much more than my present 40 mg (which may take awhile).

Dallase1

@Dallase1, hi! Back in May you were considering oxymatrine and other treatments. Did you try oxymatrine and anything else? If so are you still on oxymatrine? How much, how long and how did it go for you?

I heard at the 3 month point of being on oxymatrine Dr. Chia wants to run (?)blood tests. Curious if he did and what they were? Thanks.

I called yesterday to schedule a follow up appointment with him. They need to see me as a more comprehensive appointment patient since I haven't seen him in over a year (it's been 4 1/2). Which they don't have til November or December of 2019!

If I remember correctly, I had high Coxsackie B4 and B5.

I started oxymatrine 2 weeks ago. I'll need to figure out what blood tests I'll need at the 3 month point. Which I think I'll count the 3 months from when I titrate up to much more than my present 40 mg (which may take awhile).
Jennifer,
Can I ask what your symptoms on? What supplements are you taking? He recommended specific things based on my symptoms.

Dallase1

Jennifer,
Can I ask what your symptoms on? What supplements are you taking? He recommended specific things based on my symptoms.
I was on Oxymatrine for four months and got off of it about a month ago. I also tried some other mind-body and adrenal supplements that I truly think were a huge turning point for me. I think the Oxymatrine made me dizzy.

Dakota15

@Dallase1 Can I ask what your treatment protocol Dr. Chia advised at this time now? Feel free to PM if you'd prefer that too.

Was just curious as an interested patient that has weighed traveling from the Midwest to Dr. Chia.

Thanks!

Dallase1

@Dallase1 Can I ask what your treatment protocol Dr. Chia advised at this time now? Feel free to PM if you'd prefer that too.

Was just curious as an interested patient that has weighed traveling from the Midwest to Dr. Chia.

Thanks!
Hello. What exactly are your symptoms? It kinda depends if he would be of help to up udpeending on what they are. Thanks

Dakota15

Apologies - yes, goes without saying that fatigue is definitely an issue.

I'd like to think I've had my immune system checked - let me know if there are specific tests in your opinion that confirm or deny this. I'm a patient of another well-renowned CFS/ME clinician (since May) and unfortunately have not had any improvement at this time and just considering a second opinion.

Dallase1

Apologies - yes, goes without saying that fatigue is definitely an issue.

I'd like to think I've had my immune system checked - let me know if there are specific tests in your opinion that confirm or deny this. I'm a patient of another well-renowned CFS/ME clinician (since May) and unfortunately have not had any improvement at this time and just considering a second opinion.
T lymphocyte panel NK cells, CBC, Epstein Barr and enterovirus panel. May I ask who the clinician is and what your treatment is for?
Thanks

Tammy

Are you taking an anti-viral? I know you posted about one on the horizon. What did he recommend in the meantime for virus?

Jennifer J

Jennifer,

Thank you that's so nice of you. Ohhh I can't at this time though. Too limited and I'm focusing one step at a time and on seeing how oxymatrine goes. Mainly wanted to know what blood tests Dr. Chia ordered if you were still taking oxymatrine (which you aren't). I'll have to start a post for it at some point. That's great that you have found things to help you.:)

I was on Oxymatrine for four months and got off of it about a month ago. I think the Oxymatrine made me dizzy.

If you're up for saying, why did you stop oxymatrine? I think sometimes it can take longer than 4 months to see improvement. It makes me dizzy too. Varying degrees and amount of time due to several factors. Does go away most of the time after adjusted to the titration.

Dallase1

Are you taking an anti-viral? I know you posted about one on the horizon. What did he recommend in the meantime for virus?
No I am not. I was honestly pretty much convcinxed from
Thank you that's so nice of you. Ohhh I can't at this time though. Too limited and I'm focusing one step at a time and on seeing how oxymatrine goes. Mainly wanted to know what blood tests Dr. Chia ordered if you were still taking oxymatrine (which you aren't). I'll have to start a post for it at some point. That's great that you have found things to help you.:)

If you're up for saying, why did you stop oxymatrine? I think sometimes it can take longer than 4 months to see improvement. It makes me dizzy too. Varying degrees and amount of time due to several factors. Does go away most of the time after adjusted to the titration.
I got off because I felt better after I quit taking it. So it makes sense to stay off of it if all it does is make me dizzy. He recommended inosine if I wanted to try something but he told me not to take anything else as it can overload your system. He is NOT a fan of the herpes drugs like valcyte and it can cause some to get much, much worse and there are only marginal improvements. I don’t think I’d bother much with this whole “virus theory” as there really isn’t any treatment right now that cures viruses other than indirectly strengthening your whole body and mind. He did say they found a drug that completely eradicated enterovirus in mice. But it may be awhile before it’s out.

Dallase1

No I am not. I was honestly pretty much convcinxed from

I got off because I felt better after I quit taking it. So it makes sense to stay off of it if all it does is make me dizzy. He recommended inosine if I wanted to try something but he told me not to take anything else as it can overload your system. He is NOT a fan of the herpes drugs like valcyte and it can cause some to get much, much worse and there are only marginal improvements. I don’t think I’d bother much with this whole “virus theory” as there really isn’t any treatment right now that cures viruses other than indirectly strengthening your whole body and mind. He did say they found a drug that completely eradicated enterovirus in mice. But it may be awhile before it’s out.
Sorry! I was convinced from Chia that antivirals are fairly ineffective for the most part. He told me he’s seen over 4,000 cases and a lot of been from doctors who have treated them with valcyte and they got worse. I am not saying it doesn’t work I’m just telling you when he said.