• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Hyde interview

Kati

Patient in training
This is not new as I have read this before. However this is an excellent interview of Dr Byron Hyde that may help people understand his work a little more over the years.

http://www.grubstreet.ca/articles/interviews/byronmhyde.htm

I remember discussing Dr hyde in a previous forum thread that I can't find anymore, so I hope the people I was talking with will read this.

He mennions how much time it takes to investigate a patient with ME and how modern medicine is not organized to accomodate us as complex patients. It is easier to diagnose us as hysterical, anxious, depressed patients and pass on to the next client that will sustain their lifestyle. That is amonst other things.

On another topic, I saw that Dr Mikovits answer Dr Hyde in her recent presentation about the fact that he said that XMRV is not the cause of Me/CFS due to the fact that the incubation tme of the virus was 21 days and didn't match the picture of the disease. Dr Mikovits said that the incubation time is not known for XMRV and that lots of researches has yet to be done.

I personally hope that Dr Hyde can recognize that XMRV can be a causal possibility and that he can keep an open mind in this regard. I really wish also that he was a bit more vocal with his researches and sharing his knowledge with other physicians in Canada. I am not sure how much teaching he does in our country-

Advocate

...he said that XMRV is not the cause of Me/CFS due to the fact that the incubation tme of the virus was 21 days and didn't match the picture of the disease.

I wonder how he came up with "21 days." I'm glad Judy Mikovits commented on it.

Kati

Patient in training
I wonder how he came up with "21 days." I'm glad Judy Mikovits commented on it.

he is still not elaborating on this Sweden conference talk:

"I should add that incubation period of XMRV is up to 21 days which makes it impossible to cause an epidemic illness."

http://www.nightingale.ca/documents/GoteborgConference.pdf an excellent presentation by the way other thqan dismissing WPI and discussing the economical factors etc..

Anika

Thanks, Kati - Hyde is very interesting

I can't think of another Dr who takes the approach Dr. Hyde does, to CFS / ME or anything else, for that matter. Of course, as he points out, he partly has the "luxury" of being able to do that because he hasn't had a mortgage for over 40 years, as he mentions in the article. An interesting man with lots of good stories and very forthright.

I recall reading about him some years ago when I got ill, and thinking it might be worth trying to get in to see him, though it must take a while because of the long work ups he gives.

Hasn't he been firm in the conviction that it's only ME if it's sudden onset? If not, then need to look for another cause of illness. (Although - the thing that doesn't fit with that to me, is that ME may have distinct medical profile, but we don't know what causes it, as he points out is true of MS and other disease also. Maybe he doesn't see the same medical test results in people with gradual onset.) In contrast - I think WPI said XMRV appears in both sudden and gradual onset.

I think his point about wondering how XMRV could be implicated in outbreaks is well taken. There are still a lot of questions about the role of XMRV in illness and its transmission, assuming that all the WPI results bear out. Lots of 'splainin to do on that front.

Also interesting that at least in 2008, enterovirus testing wasn't commonly available in Canada (?!?)! I wonder if that has changed, and what the U.S. situation is.

Anika

Sing

Thank you, Kati, for bringing this interview to our attention. Dr. Hyde is a great resouce in terms of clinical experience, careful record keeping of his 26 years of exclusive focus on ME/"CFS", and independent thinking. I certainly hope he will have an important role to play, as research, education and treatment expands for us worldwide. His critical views of the WPI's XMRV study and disagreement about incubation time, I don't think should be a permanent block to an appreciation of his expertise and potential contributions. As scientifically focussed as he is, I expect he would change his initially stated position if further research definitely proves him mistaken.How many doctors do we have who have been carefully diagnosing us and supporting us through disability trials?

Sing