• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Donnica - CFS & Blood Donation on ABC News

Wayne

Wow, thanks for posting this Shannah. I thought Dr. Donnica was great; very articulate and very credible. The part about CFS and XMRV starts just before the 2-minute mark.

Wayne

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
This was posted the other day, but with the holidays things get passed by sometime.

I liked the part where she threw up her hands and said that CFS was neurodegenarative autoimmune disease and the notion that "This all in your head" can FINALLY be laid to rest.

I think that really help the stigma associated our disease and hopefully the publics perception will start to change. I wonder if we can get her to go on ABC every month and say that!!!

shannah

Sorry August, I must have missed that earlier posting. I thought I was fairly on top of things right now but alas - betrayed by the brain again!

Eric, you make a good point. I think there was a piece or two in the early days but it's been numerous months I think since I last saw something. She mentions around 2:35 that 'they've talked about XMRV quite a bit on this show'. I guess we may have missed some pieces.

But the more exposure (of a correct nature) - the better.

Wayne

This was posted the other day, but with the holidays things get passed by sometime.

I liked the part where she threw up her hands and said that CFS was neurodegenarative autoimmune disease and the notion that "This all in your head" can FINALLY be laid to rest.

Hey August,

I looked for the other thread, but couldn't seem to find it. Could you help me locate it? I'd be interested in reading some of the comments.

I too thought Dr. Donnica was terrific when she out and out dismissed the notion of this being all in our heads. She was VERY strong on the vast amount of research indicating an infectious etiology of CFS. I also like it when she used the term CFIDS. I think it was a loss when the "immune dysfunction" letters were removed.

If we could just get a few other spokespeople to say some similar things. Not to exaggerate anything, but just state what we already know about CFS, and what the implications are for the health of everybody, not just PWCs.

Wayne

dannybex

I know I'll get kicked for pointing this out, but although she did a great job -- she always does cram a lot into her segments -- was it really accurate when she said 'there have been many other studies that have supported the WPI's conclusions'?

I know the FDA/NIH indirectly supported the WPI's conclusions, but where are the 'many' others?

dannybex

I also like it when she used the term CFIDS. I think it was a loss when the "immune dysfunction" letters were removed.

Wayne

I agree Wayne. Have often thought if they have to use such a screwy name, why not leave out the f-word, and just call it CIDS. ???

Wayne

I know I'll get kicked for pointing this out ...... was it really accurate when she said 'there have been many other studies that have supported the WPI's conclusions'? ...... I know the FDA/NIH indirectly supported the WPI's conclusions, but where are the 'many' others?

Oh boy Dan, you're really asking for it, aren't you? :D:D

I went back and listened to her, and noticed she used terms like "sufficient evidence" and "an abundant amount of research" indicating an infectious etiology. When she mentioned "many" studies supporting WPI's research, I noticed she didn't say "published studies". Could she have knowledge of studies that have not yet been published? I think I'm gonna give her a little leaway on this one. :Retro smile:

One thing that particularly impressed me was the way she took a segment on donating blood (entitled "The Gift of Life"), and in very short order steered it into a 3-minute segment focused almost entirely on XMRV, CFS, WPI. Kudos for Dr. Donnica.

:victory::thumbsup::balloons::Sign Good Job::Sign Good one:;):thumbsup::thumbsup::victory:;):balloons: