• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To register, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Where is my apology BMJ Open?

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2018/10/24/t...Cp3qv5Aep4cOBdiXzfehWWflwh-4xQH0YjVHZ-QGOK4MA

Trial By Error: Where’s My Apology, BMJ Open?
24 OCTOBER 2018
By David Tuller, DrPH

This morning I sent the following e-mail to Dr Fiona Godlee, the editor-in-chief of The BMJ and editorial director of BMJ. I cc’d Professor Vincent Racaniello, the host of Virology Blog, and Carol Monaghan MP, who sits on the House of Commons Health and Technology Committee.

Dear Dr Godlee—

I am seeking an apology for untrue claims about my reporting that BMJ Open made last fall in a statement to the Committee on Publication Ethics. The statement involved a study that investigated whether school absence records could help identify children who might be suffering from the devastating illness variously known as myalgic encephalitis, chronic fatigue syndrome, ME/CFS and CFS/ME. I am also appealing to you to address the study’s documented violations of ethical and methodological principles, since BMJ Open has failed to do.

The investigators exempted the study from ethical review on the specious grounds that it was “service evaluation” rather than “research” and therefore did not require this level of scrutiny. They supported this decision by citing an opinion from the regional research ethics committee, even though that opinion had nothing to do with the study in question.

Seven7

Seven
Question, so are they going to try to pull the Lancet publication of PACE also?? anybody has that task, or Lancet is so far gone that we will not even try?

Mary

Moderator Resource
I don't know where David Tuller gets his stamina, endurance, perseverance, refusal to give up, he's like a pit bull with rag doll who won't let go. I know he's healthy, but if I were healthy and taking on any of the people and institutions that he does, I think I would soon give up in disgust. I wouldn't have his mental stamina. He's indefatigable, relentless, and lots of other words in the thesaurus - I feel so extremely fortunate to have him for our advocate!! :thumbsup: