• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller:Trial By Error: Two Letters to Dagbladet About Its ME Coverage

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2020/05/30/...hg54oQ6SjozsfIV71pITwY-RbWASAoTjeeCp-4gCBDYgo

Trial By Error: Two Letters to Dagbladet About Its ME Coverage

30 MAY 2020

In recent weeks, the Norwegian tabloid Dagbladet has published a series of articles about ME, which it also calls CFS/ME. These articles have promoted the use of the Lightning Process as an intervention, criticized patients and the Norwegian ME Association for expressing opinions about the Lightning Process and cognitive behavior therapy, and engaged in multiple other stupidities. The first articles ran a couple of weeks ago. The most recent one ran today.

Both Jonathan Edwards and I sent in letters in response to the first round of articles. Neither one was published. At least Professor Edwards received an acknowledgement that his letter had been received. I didn’t–even though the reporter mischaracterized me by omission when she referred to me as a blogger and journalist but forgot to mention the fact that I am a Berkeley academic.

I have posted both of our letters below–first Professor Edwards’, then mine.

Dear Editor,

I have read with concern recent articles in Dagbladet about a proposed trial of the Lightning Process for chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME).

I have no personal or professional interest in CFS/ME but have been asked by a number of bodies internationally to advise on CFS/ME research, including the UK NICE guidelines committee. In my view significant disinformation is being spread by physicians in Norway about this proposed trial. I think it is important to establish certain simple facts.

1. The Lightning Process is a commercial product whose nature is secret and whose value is unproven – thus qualifying as an ‘alternative therapy’.

Last edited by a moderator: