• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller:Time To Retract The LP Study: Letter to Archives of Disease in Childhood

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2019/06/03/trial-by-error-time-to-retract-the-lp-study-letter-to-archive
Trial By Error: Time to Retract the LP Study; Letter to Archives of Disease in Childhood

3 JUNE 2019
By David Tuller, DrPH

Let me say this directly: It is way past time for Archives of Disease in Childhood to consign the pediatric Lightning Process study to the trash bin.

As I have pointed out repeatedly, the Bristol University investigators recruited more than half their participants before trial registration, swapped outcome measures based on the early results, and then failed to disclose these critical details in the paper. More than a decade ago, all the major medical journals banned the publication of any studies in which recruitment pre-dates trial registration. For that reason alone, Archives of Disease in Childhood, a BMJ journal, should not have published it in the first place.

In addition to retracting the paper, the journal should offer a full and transparent account of what went wrong. How did the paper pass peer review in the first place? Why has it taken so long for Archives to clean up the mess? What changes has Archives implemented in its review processes, if any?

Last edited by a moderator: