• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: The medical establishment gaslights doctors, insisting long Covid is “psychological”

Countrygirl

https://www.codastory.com/waronscie...JJCR01i1EFoyPcil-oFjbouJRsGgz33NG7Gp3OlCiyIZ8

The medical establishment gaslights doctors, insisting long Covid is “psychological”
Covid long-hauler physicians reject their peers’ party line that their symptoms are psychosomatic

By Dr David Tuller.

Glasgow palliative care physician Shaun Peter Qureshi came down with Covid-19 early in the pandemic. Like many patients, he experienced profound fatigue, episodes of dizziness, and problems with memory and concentration for many months after his acute illness. Standard medical tests were all negative.
His doctor refused to order more tests, citing concerns about “over-investigating” his condition, he said. “She doesn’t think there was anything really wrong,” said Qureshi, who is 35 and remains severely disabled. Other doctors suggested he just needed exercise to get back into shape after having been sick.

Asad Khan, a pulmonologist in Manchester, England, has not been able to work more than a year out from his bout of Covid. Like Qureshi, he has found that other physicians have pooh-poohed his exhaustion and other symptoms. “I’ve been told, ‘It’s nothing serious,’” said Khan, who is 46. “I’ve also been told, ‘Do you think you’re stressed? Do you think you’re over-perceiving your symptoms?’’’

Given persistent shortages in protective gear, medical professionals in the U.K., U.S. and elsewhere have been hard-hit by Covid — and by long Covid, the disabling condition that can follow. Many have been shocked that their own clinicians and colleagues have dismissed or expressed disbelief about their continuing symptoms.
They are also angry that members of their profession are publicly hyping and researching the notion that long Covid is mainly generated by pandemic-related emotional and psychological distress.

Last April, in a Wall Street Journal opinion piece called “The Dubious Origins of Long Covid,” Jeremy Devine, a psychiatry resident at McMaster University in Toronto, called it “largely an invention of vocal patient activist groups” — a reference to advocates like the members of Body Politic, an online support group that drew early public attention to the issue with a self-published survey.
News and social media accounts of long Covid were enabling “patient denial of mental illness,” Devine wrote, and a decision by the U.S. National Institutes of Health to appropriate more than $1 billion to pursue the issue was “a victory for pseudoscience.” (Devine did not respond to requests for comment sent to his Twitter account and the McMaster University psychology department).
In the Netherlands, University of Amsterdam investigators are testing whether a course of psychotherapy designed to counter “fears and worries about COVID-19,” “dysfunctional beliefs about fatigue,” “problems with processing the acute phase of COVID-19,” and “perceived low social support” can prevent the severe fatigue reported in long Covid. The intervention is based on the presumption that these factors, among others, are perpetuating the symptoms, despite a shortage of evidence supporting the notion.

Research in this vein is “sewage” and “bonkers,” said Khan, the Manchester pulmonologist, who has at times been bed-bound for weeks, with extreme sensitivity to light, sound, and touch. He is currently in Germany undergoing apheresis, a treatment designed to clear the blood of what are called micro-clots, which some experts believe are implicated in long Covid.

“It is clear to me that medicine has fallen into a pattern where the jump to ‘this is psychological’ is instant,” he said. “Something is very wrong with the way we are dealing with illnesses where there isn’t a clear biomarker or clear abnormality on examination.” Khan is a member of a private Facebook group of more than 1,400 doctors who either have long Covid themselves or want to learn more about it.

BrightCandle

I saw this gem today from France which attributed a lack of antibodies to Covid in a long hauler to meaning that their symptoms were psychological in nature. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2787741

Given we have science showing that some people don't develop antibodies and that they disappear pretty quickly within a few months after infection its a bit of a stretch to say half of your long haul patients are faking it on that one measure, but they did it anyway.

This jump to pyschology continues to annoy me, we know what bloody caused long covid, the perpetrator is still around doing the same thing to ever more people, its not like ME/CFS where maybe we don't know the cause. Its rampaged through the medical profession who are mighty good judges of their own condition and we have quite a lot of diagnostics showing oddities. Its frustrating to watch this same process play out again.

pattismith

where and when the psychiatrics went wrong with somatization concept?

This article points the misunderstanding around somatization and explain Freud himself had a different view on it...

Symptoms of somatization as a rapid screening tool for mitochondrial dysfunction in depression - PMC (nih.gov)

Ann Gardner1 and Richard G Boles
corrauth.gif

extract

Multiple medically-unexplained somatic complaints, usually associated with mood symptoms, is currently designated as "somatization" under the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) system used to classify mental illness. This phenomenon has been observed by physicians for at least 3000 years and was known as "hysteria" until the previous DSM designation of "Briquet's syndrome". The French physician Briquet, in his 1859 treatise on hysteria, described mood as well as a long list of somatic symptoms among his 430 patients, including migraine, abdominal pain, muscle pain, palpitations, restlessness, hyperesthesias, anesthesias and fatigue [1].
While Briquet assumed that his patients' symptomatology had a biological basis, many mental health providers today practice under the assumption that prominent somatic symptomology among depressed individuals are of psychic origin, a theory often attributed to the work of Sigmund Freud.

However, in 1895, Freud and Breuer in their classical study of hysteria [2] actually postulated the presence of underlying genetic-biological factors in their patients as exemplified by the comments by Freud " [she] was undoubtedly a person with a severe neuropathic heredity. To accomplish hysteria without a disposition of this kind would most likely be impossible" (page 93), and "...somatic pain was not created by the neurosis, but simply used, heightened and maintained by it" (page 177).
The popular concept of the symbolic conversion of psychic conflicts into somatic symptoms by the unconscious mind was presented by Freud and Breuer in order to explain the specific somatic manifestations reported, not necessarily their initial pathogenesis.

Jadzhia

'do you think you're over-perceiving your symptoms?'

I just....no words, really. :angry: :headslap: :jaw-drop: :aghhh: :cry:

I saw this gem today from France which attributed a lack of antibodies to Covid in a long hauler to meaning that their symptoms were psychological in nature.

It means they need to do an immunology course! Antibodies contract over time! Arrrgghhh.

“Something is very wrong with the way we are dealing with illnesses where there isn’t a clear biomarker or clear abnormality on examination.”

Yes, spot on, Dr Khan. I had thought that with the population going through the pandemic and severe illness caused by the virus, as well as a clear link to long Covid, all followed by the medical profession in minute detail, at the very least was going to cause some progress in connecting physical illness and dysfunction with long sequelae.

I will add another factor into this - are people of colour believed less just like women have been regarding illness, so that they also get put into the 'all in your head' box? Is it just coincidence that the two doctors mentioned are both Asian?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I'm glad to see David Tuller's articles on a more mainstream website.
I hope he keeps expanding to more publications.

pattismith

I saw this gem today from France which attributed a lack of antibodies to Covid in a long hauler to meaning that their symptoms were psychological in nature. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2787741

This study means absolutely nothing, they mixed together people who thinked they had covid (without any positive PCR testing nor Ag testing), together with people who actually had the covid (with a positive test)!......
Here the question they asked:
“Since March, do you think you have been infected by the coronavirus (whether or not confirmed by a physician or a test)?”

BrightCandle

This study means absolutely nothing, they mixed together people who thinked they had covid (without any positive PCR testing nor Ag testing), together with people who actually had the covid (with a positive test)!......
Here the question they asked:

This is always going to be the case. The vast majority of people who caught Covid in the first wave could not get tested at all. Since there have been multiple shortages of tests and advice to isolate when suffering any symptoms without a test if one wasn't available. Long covid also seems to be more prevalent the older the variant is too and these are the people who aren't recovering as well. Fact is if you exclude them you are excluding some really unwell people who absolutely had Covid and by symptoms alone can be pretty sure they did but whom couldn't get tested due to the nature of the pandemic and denying them medical care is not OK.