• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Some National Health Service Branches Fail to Respond to New NICE Guidelines for ME/CFS

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2021/11/16/...ines-for-me-cfs/comment-page-1/#comment-62700

Trial By Error: Some National Health Service Branches Fail to Respond to New NICE Guidelines for ME/CFS

16 November 2021 by David Tuller 8 Comments

By David Tuller, DrPH

In late October, the UK’s National institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) released its new ME/CFS guideline, which specifically recommend against graded exercise therapy (GET) and a specialized form of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). Last week, I wrote about how King’s College London continues to host a page on “CBT and chronic fatigue syndrome,” which boasted that “our researchers were among the architects of bespoke talking therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome, which is now one of two treatments recommended in the UK.” (This page is still live as of this writing.)

Countrygirl

Attachments

• ME Sharpe2021_Article_Evidence-BasedCareForPeopleWit.pdf
    410.7 KB · Views: 18

Learner1

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s11606-021-07188-4.pdf

Unbelievable!........or perhaps not!

The Infernal Trio, Sharpe, Chalder, and White publish a new paper in The Journal of Internal Medicine encouraging doctors to ignore the new NICE guidelines and continue to use GET and CBT for ME.
If you look at the bottom left corner of the front page of the article, it says:

Received: August 7, 2020
Accepted: October 1, 2021
Published online: 17 November 2021

So, it looks like it was submitted and accepted prior to the new NICE guidelines. Maybe someone can point out the updated guidelines to the publisher?

The portion regarding further research into CBT/GET is haunting. They’re essentially flaunting their entitlement and disinterest in a paradigm shift. They can do what they want, when they want, and we are powerless to stop it.

Ghoulish behavior.

BrightCandle

I checked the websites of the clinics I could be referred too and nothing has changed. They are either actively against the new guidelines or haven't updated any aspect of what they offer. So far the guidelines have had zero impact in making the NHS safer. The response from my GP has been appalling these last few months so its certainly not changed a thing for the better around my care yet.

Until they fire the people involved in this heinous crime against humanity and shut the clinics that don't change their treatments nothing practical is going to change for ME patients.

Learner1

I checked the websites of the clinics I could be referred too and nothing has changed. They are either actively against the new guidelines or haven't updated any aspect of what they offer. So far the guidelines have had zero impact in making the NHS safer. The response from my GP has been appalling these last few months so its certainly not changed a thing for the better around my care yet.

Until they fire the people involved in this heinous crime against humanity and shut the clinics that don't change their treatments nothing practical is going to change for ME patients.
Even in the US, I have not found that having a diagnosis of ME/ CFS qualifies anyone for any kind of treatment. It is far more productive to have a mystery illness, then have doctors do a diagnostic workout to find treatable problems, resulting in a helpful list of multiple ICD-10 codes, that insurance companies will pay for treatment for.