• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Professor Lubet’s Take on The New Yorker’s Long Covid Article

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2021/10/08/...aP6-4zrOtgHAmFWXAUi7xO4YCUXGD_L4E_aG04ZkAIKK0

PLEASE REMEMBER TO DONATE TO DAVID'S CROWD FUNDING SO HE CAN CONTINUE HIS EXCELLENT WORK FOR US.

Trial By Error: Professor Lubet’s Take on The New Yorker’s Long Covid Article
8 October 2021 by David Tuller 3 Comments

By David Tuller, DrPH

I wrote a post last month about the recent wave of Long Covid coverage—some of it excellent (The Atlantic) and some way over the edge in its assertions of psychogenic causation of symptoms (The American Spectator, Spiked). Then there was the seemingly sympathetic New Yorker article by a physician, with its more subtle form of patient-bashing—portraying adherents of a pathophysiological perspective on Long Covid as irrational, anti-science zealots even as the author expressed compassion for their plight.
This New Yorker piece generated a wave of criticism and push-back from many of those experiencing Long Covid—not to mention ME/CFS patients, who have confronted similar attitudes for years. Among those troubled by it was my friend and sometime co-author Steven Lubet, a professor of law at Northwestern University, who wrote the following commentary for Social Science Space, an academic site. I am reposting the essay here with Professor Lubet’s permission.
On Taking Long COVID Seriously
By Steven Lubet
There was a time when doctors and patients inhabited a nearly “silent world,” as famously described by physician-educator Jay Katz in his 1984 book of the same name. In those days, communication ran in only one direction and trust was expected only in the other.............