• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: NICE’s Upcoming Draft Guidance on ME/CFS

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2020/10/25/...5A1dDpjpnzPbO0Culr-wUsL-2emyrrdE-xLG8kEzjdnhU

Trial By Error:
NICE’s Upcoming Draft Guidance on ME/CFS

Trial By Error: NICE’s Upcoming Draft Guidance on ME/CFS
25 OCTOBER 2020
By David Tuller, DrPH

*October is crowdfunding month at Berkeley. I conduct this project as a senior fellow in public health and journalism and the university’s Center for Global Public Health. If you would like to support the project, here’s the place: https://crowdfund.berkeley.edu/project/22602

The UK’s National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, or NICE, is planning to release a draft of its revised guidance for ME/CFS on November 10th. That will be followed by a six-week public comment period, which is expected to see a flood of responses from all sides. The final version is scheduled to be published in the first part of 2021.

The 2007 guidance for CFS/ME, concocted by a committee over-weighted with members and supporters of the biopsychosocial ideological brigades, recommended cognitive behavior and graded exercise therapy as the best treatments. When the bogus PACE results were published in 2011, they appeared to bolster the 2007 recommendations. Three years ago, NICE reversed its initial decision to leave the guidance as is after an outpouring of negative public comment. Now the revision process is coming to fruition.

I have no inside information, but I’m going to make a couple of guesses about the draft guidance.

*GET will be discarded.

*CBT will be recommended not as a treatment for improving or curing the condition itself but as adjunctive or supportive care, similar to how it is used in the context of other chronic medical diseases. (The language on this might be a bit squishy or ambiguous to accommodate all parties.)

The demise of GET

By David Tuller, DrPH

Last edited by a moderator: