• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: More on that Disastrous Employment Paper from Professor Chalder and Colleagues

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2021/12/11/...XwiJEWZX9GzNgxFDfhBOwDt8Y2ayqFA9r_pFXSpQMulkM

Trial By Error: More on that Disastrous Employment Paper from Professor Chalder and Colleagues
11 December 2021 by David Tuller 4 Comments

By David Tuller, DrPH

A few days ago, I wrote a post about yet another atrocious paper from Professor Trudie Chalder—this one called “Chronic fatigue syndrome and occupational status: a retrospective longitudinal study.” Professor Chalder and her colleagues seem constitutionally incapable of writing anything that isn’t marred by massive flaws. In this case, as I noted the other day, besides the fact that she and her colleagues misrepresented their findings by messing up their denominators in expressing percentages, they omitted any reference to the null findings on employment from the PACE trial—an egregious lapse.
They also seemed confused about whether they diagnosed patients using the 2007 guidelines from the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence for CFS/ME, or using the 1991 Oxford CFS criteria. They mentioned NICE in the text but the cited reference was the 1991 paper. The differences between the case definitions are significant, so this confusion is jarring