• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Mom Speaks Out About NHS “Abuse” of Daughter; Norway Approves Lightning Process Study

Countrygirl

I alerted David to Ella's story and am glad he has written about it. Sad to read Mum Jo's comment beneath though where she reports that The Times article attracted a number of unkind comments claiming Ella just needs a psychiatrist while Jo must have MbyP.

Trial By Error: Mom Speaks Out About NHS “Abuse” of Daughter; Norway Approves Lightning Process Study
20 July 2022 2 Comments

By David Tuller, DrPH

https://www.virology.ws/2022/07/20/...PRZoaLad_d6nI5sEzL41mQ6mbIyCg078m6uBHbhUPoiCw
On Monday, The Times (UK) published a story about a 17-year-old girl with ME who has experienced hospital treatment that her family has referred to as “neglect and abuse.” The details are harrowing—but should not be unfamiliar to people aware of similar experiences reported by other teenagers with severe ME.

Parents and kids caught in the grips of practitioners at National Health Service facilities often decline to speak out about mistreatment, for fear of medical and legal repercussions. In this case, the mother, Joanne McKee, has taken the opposite step and gone public. She disseminated information on social media and spoke with the press.

Here’s the opening of the Times story:

“A mother has said an NHS hospital failed to offer her daughter adequate pain relief in a pattern of poor treatment that left the teenager suicidal.

Ella Copley, 17, from Tingley, West Yorkshire, has suffered from ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis), sometimes known as chronic fatigue syndrome, for seven years. She has been in Leeds General Infirmary since March, when she was taken there by ambulance with an infection later diagnosed as sepsis.

Her mother, Joanne McKee, 49, said the treatment Ella had received ‘feels like neglect and abuse.’ She has posted videos on social media of the teenager screaming in pain when medicine is given via a feeding tube into her small intestine. ‘I don’t think they believe that her pain is real at all,’ she said.