• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: A Short Talk for UK Docs and Researchers

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2020/09/17/...E4O2HzTtfuFEFWoXJKTmuCewSmugY-ZQ6aNLtT_m1i638

Trial By Error: A Short Talk for UK Docs and Researchers

17 SEPTEMBER 2020

By David Tuller, DrPH

This morning (Wednesday) I gave an informal online talk about the piece of crap known as the PACE trial to a small group of UK doctors, researchers and others. The group had been pulled together by Paul Garner, a physician and professor of infectious diseases at Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. Garner has written several widely read blog posts for BMJ about his struggles with profound exhaustion and other long-Covid symptoms.
In those posts, Garner has expressed sympathy for the plight of people with ME and their challenges in finding adequate medical treatment. Those experiences triggered his interest in the PACE saga–about which I know a little bit.
As sometimes happens, I got a bit, uh, energized while I discussed the PACE trial. It’s possible I dropped a four-letter word as I explained how the outcome thresholds were weakened so much that people could get worse on key measures and still be considered “recovered.” (Or “back to normal,” as one of the PACE investigators falsely declared at the 2011 press conference presenting the first results.)............................................