• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: A Reprise of an Earlier Blog Post About Godwin’s Law on Nazi Analogies and Simon Wessely

Countrygirl

https://www.virology.ws/2022/06/06/...lRbKAzRkadYZyEWb-arqfo6G_afc-fV38AdWQJatNW1jw

Trial By Error: A Reprise of an Earlier Blog Post About Godwin’s Law on Nazi Analogies and Simon Wessely
6 June 2022 1 Comment

By David Tuller, DrPH

In a new book, Fiona Fox, the head of the London-based Science Media Centre, has compared critics of the GET/CBT ideological brigades and the PACE trial to Nazis, as I noted recently on Virology Blog. In response to her unfortunate reference to the Holocaust in this context, some on social media have invoked the popular meme known as “Godwin’s Law.”
Here’s the Wikipedia definition: “Godwin’s law, short for Godwin’s law (or rule) of Nazi analogies, is an Internet adage asserting that as an online discussion grows longer (regardless of topic or scope), the probability of a comparison to Nazis or Adolph Hitler approaches 1.”

The irony is that Mike Godwin, the American lawyer and author who first articulated this concept decades ago, was a high school buddy of a teenage Simon Wessely. That’s right! Young Simon spent time as an exchange student in the US during his formative years. Who knew? A few years ago, in an own goal representing an utter lack of self-reflection, Simon tweeted his old friend and eponymous-law-progenitor Godwin into a discussion over PACE. The proximal cause was that a commenter had just referenced the Holocaust in the course of the twitter exchange–in this case, a mention of “the banality of evil.”

Godwin took up the bait and reviewed the PACE trial. Despite the bonds of friendship he’d forged in the past with the future Professor Sir Simon Wessely, Godwin publicly declared PACE to be a “profoundly flawed”–a mess of major proportions. Simon tried to save face with some light-hearted protestations, but between the tweets you could read his embarrassment.
I wrote a post about it at the time–June 18, 2018. Given that the issue of Nazi analogies and PACE has resurfaced, I thought it was worth a reprise.
By David Tuller, DrPH
From the start, one of my strategies for this PACE-debunking project was to draw in outside experts–people with no ax to grind and no pre-conceived notions about the trial and its methodology–and encourage them to scrutinize the matter................................

Rufous McKinney

By David Tuller, DrPH

I read this earlier...remarkable.

What puzzles me is Why would Sir Simon ask his American lawyer friend to comment on medical research?

I think Godwin's law Is a near Universal, and there is considerable hyperbolic use of these terms, here lately.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I read this earlier...remarkable.

What puzzles me is Why would Sir Simon ask his American lawyer friend to comment on medical research?

I think Godwin's law Is a near Universal, and there is considerable hyperbolic use of these terms, here lately.
Desperation is a hell of a drug.
He believes he is in the right (believes his own lies). Hence getting a friend to back him up should give him support.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
well if he was a type of medical lawyer...maybe...

Might as well confer with a dentist...
When your back is against the wall anyone in your corner helps.
If his house of cards could stand on his own he would not need to attempt to recruit allies at all since facts don't crumble upon inspection.

Reality denial on the other hand is another kettle of fish, one he is trying to unsuccessfully prop up.

Rufous McKinney

Reality denial on the other hand is another kettle of fish

My illness has resulted in being DECONDITIONED. (loosely speaking)

Exercising would be nice. But such activities do virtually nothing to address a litany of physical symptoms I experience that aren't about exercising.

Hence the notion that GET would result in brain function resuming, my neck not unraveling, my fingerprints would come back, I'd be able to speak and sing again because my throat would work, I would not have tinnitis in my ears and brain any longer, and my hand and foot wouldn't be numb.

My crumpled spine would be erect, I'd have no more back pain and no energy blockages in my spine.

Oh, yes if I also had CBT, then I'd be able to sing again.