• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doing So Well On Modified Cowden Protocol

bertiedog

Have just worked out what is happening now energy-wise. Still takes a time to get really good energy, say from 10.30 or maybe 10 am but then it will keep going much better than before treatment. I can still get exhausted and feel ill if I have overdone it but now as long as I laydown and rest I recover much more quickly, often within an hour or so and can then restart gentle activity. This is new for me and would seem to be due to the various herbals helping my immune system and therefore my energy.

Pam

Wayne

@bertiedog

Hi Pam,

I finally got around to perusing this thread and reading about some of your improvements. Congratulations on your success:thumbsup:, and thanks for sharing what you're discovering along the way. It's encouraging for me to read, and gives me a little more determination to figure things out for myself. Will be keeping the Cowden protocol in mind going forward.

msf

I'm really glad to hear of your success with the Cowden protocol, Bertiedog, and slightly amazed to hear that you originally found a doctor in the UK who was willing to prescribe months of antibiotics for Lyme (and on the basis of microscopy!). I have one piece of advice though, do not give any more ticks from the New Forest any more of your blood!

bertiedog

I

I still feel this is connected to my blood sugar issues. Things have changed quite radically during the herbal treatment with my blood sugar. Now it has a tendency to be a little on the high side around 6.7 two hours after eating even though I don't eat any sugar, gluten, potatoes or rice. Actually one lunchtime I had to eat out and all that was suitable was half a jacket potato with some green leaves and tuna. I was very hungry before and needed it but within 20 minutes I felt so dizzy (like I used to be prior to going low carb) and then the tiredness came over me followed by a bad head. My blood sugar was horrendous showing 9.8 one hour after eating this and then 6.8 two hours later but I was fighting massive fatigue and pain in my head.

This rather proves I have a big blood sugar issue bordering on diabetes and I am going to see my GP in just over a week's time. I will show him my by readings. I feel the morning headaches/migraines could be related to the blood sugar issue and fasting overnight triggering it.
Pam

Actually I am not anywhere near diabetes it turns out. My GP has tested me fasting and it was really low 3.8 and did the longer ABA1c which was 5.5 so it would look like my new meter is rubbish and not accurate. Good news that my blood sugar isn't prediabetic which I had feared.

Pam

sarah darwins

I'm really glad to hear of your success with the Cowden protocol, Bertiedog, and slightly amazed to hear that you originally found a doctor in the UK who was willing to prescribe months of antibiotics for Lyme (and on the basis of microscopy!). I have one piece of advice though, do not give any more ticks from the New Forest any more of your blood!
I was struck by that, too. And in 2003 ... wonder if that's changed at all. I have noticed before that the NHS website does actually acknowledge the existence of chronic, or "post-infectious" illness from TBDs - http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-disease/Pages/Introduction.aspx :

A few people with Lyme disease go on to develop long-term symptoms similar to those of fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. This is known as post-infectious Lyme disease. It's not clear exactly why this happens, but it's likely to be related to overactivity of your immune system rather than persistent infection.

Raises some interesting questions, doesn't it.

Dear @bertiedog / Pam,

Thank you for sharing your experiences. I know this is from 3 years ago but I wondered whether you could give me some advice... my Dr has recommended I go on the Cowden Protocol. I tested negative for Lyme but positive for coxsackie and CMV. I understand the CP has some antiviral effects but that it is mainly antibiotic and antimicrobial?

Many thanks.