• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does your ME cause problems with falling asleep at night at a normal time? (Without sleep meds)

Does your ME cause problems with falling asleep at night at a normal time? (Without sleep meds)

• Yes. Equally bad regardless of exertion

• Yes. Worse after exertion

• No when well rested but yes after exertion

• No. No change or only occasionally worse

• No I fall asleep more easily

Results are only viewable after voting.

leokitten

A note for those who use sleep medication to help combat ME sleep issues - this might be more difficult to answer since the body becomes somewhat dependent on medication when taken chronically. If you could try to answer based on your time with ME before you ever took sleep meds or, if that is not possible, try your best to guesstimate how sleep-related symptoms would be now if you had never taken medication.

Wishful

I can't honestly chose any of the options, because while I have developed sleep issues, I don't know that they are directly related to ME. The trouble sleeping didn't occur during the first 15 or so years of ME, so maybe it's more of an age-related change.

FWIW, it's only in the last year that physical exertion later than 3 PM has started giving me insomnia. Likewise, it's only been the last year or two that quickly-digested carbs have caused insomnia. ME might be a factor in that, but I just don't know for sure.

leokitten

What is a normal time? My ability to fall asleep after days of exertion is all over the map, haven't noticed a pattern yet.

GG

8pm to 12 midnight is generally considered the normal window to fall asleep. Though I would say for ME maybe even pushing that to 1 am would be considered “normal”. After that I would say you are are having sleeping problems or circadian rhythm issues?

Wolfcub

I usually fall asleep beautifully. I am usually so utterly exhausted.
But as for it being a "normal time"....then nope, it isn't. I have DSPS and have had that tendency for years and years even before I became unwell.
Occasionally I get true insomnia. But that doesn't happen often. If/when it happens, I just get up and distract myself until I am ready to sleep. Sometimes that results in only 3-4 hours sleep, but usually the next night I sleep ok.

By the way, it doesn't even seem to matter any more if I sleep well or not. I can feel better on days when I slept little the night before (even though naturally tired). And worse on days when I had the most lovely eight and a half hour deep unbroken sleep!

It has got so I hardly care any more because it all seems so unrelated to whether I have a relapse or a remission!

And I never use sleep meds, but have been known to have a shot of brandy and a camomile tea....or even a shot of brandy and a coffee! (now I am less caffeine/alcohol intolerant)
Weirdly a coffee-cognac can make me feel sleepy if the night gets too long.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I'm also all over the map ... exertion, no exertion, PEMing or POTSing ... it doesn't matter, any normal sleep patterns went out the window several years ago ...Like @Wolfcub, I just pretty much roll with flow and hope for better sleep the next night, which is definitely the triumph of hope over experience .....

I use mag glycinate, melatonin, a little potassium, and when it gets really desperate, I use about 1/4 to 1/3 of a Unisom tablet which usually works well.....

Wolfcub

Well haha to me because I have insomnia tonight. :rolleyes:
After lying there for 2 hours, really comfortable and warm but absolutely unable to sleep I got up and am finding things to do.
I know it usually all works out in the end, so I don't let it upset me.
Hey....it's a good excuse to eat buttered toast before dawn....that's a jolly good idea. Gosh we are so stoical, us Brits :rofl:

YippeeKi YOW !!

After lying there for 2 hours, really comfortable and warm but absolutely unable to sleep I got up and am finding things to do.
@Wolfcub
I'm reading a terrific book, The Fate of Rome, beautifully written and on a subject I love, but so dense with information that after about 20 minutes of reading the same two paragraphs over and over, I find myself thinking about the comfort of a warm bed, and I'm ready to try again.

On the other hand, I've found that Harry Potter is too delicious to put down, so that little pleasure has to wait awhile.... maybe I can give it a pre-lights out go again tomorrow ..... or maybe the day after when I'm really really really ragged out .....