• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does PEM have breaks?

panckage

Let's say that you overdo it and bring on PEM. That PEM takes 3 days (or however long) to disappear. During these 3 days do you ever feel recovered for a short period (like an hour or so)? Or will you be worse the entire period of PEM?

Mel9

Let's say that you overdo it and bring on PEM. That PEM takes 3 days (or however long) to disappear. During these 3 days do you ever feel recovered for a short period (like an hour or so)? Or will you be worse the entire period of PEM?

For me it is the entire period of PEM.

Wishful

I had occasional brief (lasting hours) remissions of my ME symptoms in the early years, so I would guess that it's possible to have brief remissions from PEM. I don't recall ever having any though. If you're experiencing such breaks, please post some more details. Unusual aspects of ME/CFS are useful for coming up with theories and for showing flaws in theories.

perrier

This is slightly off topic, but does anyone know if PEM occurs in other illnesses? This has surely been discussed but I likely failed the follow that thread. Or is PEM only characteristic of ME?