• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Dietary Coenzyme Q10 plus Selenium Supplementation Ameliorate Clinical Outcomes by Modulating Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Individuals wi

SWAlexander

Does Dietary Coenzyme Q10 plus Selenium Supplementation Ameliorate Clinical Outcomes by Modulating Oxidative Stress and Inflammation in Individuals with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Abstract

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a neuroinflammatory, multifaceted chronic disorder of unknown cause. Accumulating data indicates a link between a redox imbalance, mitochondrial dysfunction, and inflammation status in ME/CFS. CoQ10 and selenium as effective antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agents have shown potential clinical implications in chronic diseases; however, their therapeutic benefits on ME/CFS remain elusive. This open-label exploratory study aimed to evaluate the effectiveness of combined CoQ10 plus selenium supplementation on clinical features and circulating biomarkers in ME/CFS. Twenty-seven ME/CFS patients received an oral combination of 400 mg of CoQ10 and 200 µg of selenium daily for 8-weeks. The primary endpoint was patient-reported changes in outcome measures from baseline to 8 weeks post-intervention. Secondary endpoint included changes in circulating biomarkers from baseline to each participant. After an 8-week intervention, a significant improvement was found for overall fatigue severity (p = 0.021) and global quality of life (p = 0.002), while there was no significant effect on the sleep disturbances (p = 0.480) among participants. After 8-weeks' intervention, there was significantly increased total antioxidant capacity, and there were reduced lipoperoxides levels from the participants (p < 0.0001 for both). Circulating cytokine levels decreased significantly (p < 0.01 for all), but with no significant changes on the CRP, FGF21, and NT-proBNP biomarkers after supplementation. Based on these findings, we hypothesized that long-term supplementation of combined CoQ10 and selenium may indicate a potentially beneficial synergistic effect in ME/CFS.
More at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35229657/

Rufous McKinney

I should take some of that...

I see I wrote: methylization: with my Sharpie, on the selenium bottle in black letters....

LINE

Good post. I use a wide variety of antioxidants that are a major help to me.

LINE

A little factoid worth noting: Antioxidants are a network, in other words, they assist one another in conservation. For example, Vitamin C will help conserve glutathione and I am sure that Coq10 would help conserve glutathione and other antioxidants. Glutathione is an important molecule for both immune and detoxification and selenium plays a role in production of glutathione.

I employ a wide variety including plant-based antioxidants in addition to regular antioxidants. The plant based ones have really helped me. There is much research on the role of antioxidants found in spices/herbs etc. For instance, turmeric. I combine this with other spices such as Ceylon Cinnamon, paprika (or cayenne), Ashwagandha etc. I make this in a warm tea to enhance absorption (you can also add black pepper which is said to help absorption). I put this in chicken broth or stock which has helped me as well. It has collagen in it that has helped heal my gut.

sometexan84

A little factoid worth noting: Antioxidants are a network, in other words, they assist one another in conservation. For example, Vitamin C will help conserve glutathione and I am sure that Coq10 would help conserve glutathione and other antioxidants. Glutathione is an important molecule for both immune and detoxification and selenium plays a role in production of glutathione.

I employ a wide variety including plant-based antioxidants in addition to regular antioxidants. The plant based ones have really helped me. There is much research on the role of antioxidants found in spices/herbs etc. For instance, turmeric. I combine this with other spices such as Ceylon Cinnamon, paprika (or cayenne), Ashwagandha etc. I make this in a warm tea to enhance absorption (you can also add black pepper which is said to help absorption). I put this in chicken broth or stock which has helped me as well. It has collagen in it that has helped heal my gut.
Yes, I completely agree w/ this!

Turmeric/Curcumin is another I take regularly and think it's super important. Basically, anything antibacterial, antioxidant, or anything related to detox in general, is good.

This is what I'm now taking that has blocked out all complete crashes. I still feel tired if I over-exert, but instead of a full bedridden crash, it's more like I just feel a bit less energy, but can still do normal daily activities

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-thought-i-should-share-what-im-taking.86824/

LINE

Yes, I completely agree w/ this!

Turmeric/Curcumin is another I take regularly and think it's super important. Basically, anything antibacterial, antioxidant, or anything related to detox in general, is good.

This is what I'm now taking that has blocked out all complete crashes. I still feel tired if I over-exert, but instead of a full bedridden crash, it's more like I just feel a bit less energy, but can still do normal daily activities

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-thought-i-should-share-what-im-taking.86824/

Yes, you make a good point, many of these spices are not only anti-oxidants but serve to suppress underlying infections. I forgot to mention that you can buy organic in bulk at very reasonable prices. I only order from trusted providers that test for contaminants or bad bugs (Frontier or Banyan).

Learner1

It is prudent to check ones levels before taking supplements. Too much selenium can produce symptoms similar to radiation poisoning.

This study seemed to indicate antioxidants help some ME/CFS patients, which is not a surprise, because multiple studies have found that we experience a great amount of oxidative and nitrosative stress. I wonder if adding vitamin C, vitamin E, and plant-based antioxidants might have been even more helpful, but we really don't know what the levels of any of these were in these patients or what subgroup of ME/CFS these patients fell into.

@LINE was correct, antioxidants are used in a network.
Screenshot_20211108-130432.png

Selenium is a cofactor for glutathione, too, in addition to helping thyroid, immune function etc
Screenshot_20220304-080647.png

CSMLSM

As Learner1 says, cellular oxidative stress is part of me/cfs and anti oxidants will help for a time.
I myself over many years have experienced benefit from anti oxidants but it is a small part of a complex breakdown of regulatory processes.
The effect is limited and or brief in nature relatively.
If I remember right Coq10 regenerates vitamin E and is cheaper and more effective than taking vitamin E itself at raising the levels (vit E).
I would also suggest the Turmeric/Curcumin are helping through the anti inflammatory effects it has, essentially reducing immune dysfunction via this mechanism.

LINE

[
This study seemed to indicate antioxidants help some ME/CFS patients, which is not a surprise, because multiple studies have found that we experience a great amount of oxidative and nitrosative stress. I wonder if adding vitamin C, vitamin E, and plant-based antioxidants might have been even more helpful, but we really don't know what the levels of any of these were in these patients or what subgroup of ME/CFS these patients fell into.

This has always been the case for me. I use wide spectrum approaches and them seem to create a better outcome, sort of "the sum is greater than the parts" idea.

We cannot forget that the body creates its own antioxidants (endogenous) such as glutathione which has been mentioned but also SuperOxide Dismustase ( two varieties I believe) and Catalase which all work on extinguishing the super radicals (oxygen and nitrogen radicals which are generated by the immune system. These oxidants are quite strong and damage a lot of things including the cell membranes. When the membrane is compromised, then energy transfer becomes lessened which we become more fatigued.

These endogenous antioxidants are created from raw materials such as selenium but many other nutrients are also involved including healthy fats which is seldom mentioned. Even hormones are involved in these pathways.

CSMLSM

The treatment I use now naturally increases glutathione, I discovered this the other day.

I'm curious about your protocol, have you written it somewhere please ? Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

LINE

I'm curious about your protocoln have you written it somewhere please ? Thanks in advance !

Do you want details on the regular antioxidants?

I will start here:

1/ Vitamin C as Quali C (chose this for its purity, I have to be careful about additives which stimulate the immune system.

2/ Vitamin E as natural (not synthetic)

godlovesatrier

I've found so many studies now showing oxidative stress is high from the various viral pathogens present that I think it accounts for some but not all of the symptoms.

R-ala is another great OS scavenger for those without heavy metal issues (not an aversion to the music ;) )

But the ones learner1 posted I've had a lot of success with. Most of which were on Joshua's protocol to be honest. In fact I think they all were apart from Q10.

I did take Q10 3 x a day as an experiment but didn't notice a huge difference however I think my antioxidant status might already be very high.

https://www.functionalself.co.uk/pu...nic&utm_campaign=Smart+Shopping+campaign+2020
This liposomal glutathione product is amazing and it has some trace minerals and lactoferrin and b6 in it. Which is great. Best product I've found.

Selenium sadly gives me insomnia so I've never reached the dose mentioned without being completely unable to sleep. Assume it could be a coinfection issue but could be how my body is wired up as well. I'm still investigating. I did try a lower dose but that seemed to cause agitation. Possibly as learner said that my levels are already adequate so it doesn't help me.

Interesting study thanks for posting!