• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone NOT have flu-like malaise?

mellster

Marco
Flu-like symptoms without the presence of fever has been my main symptom - luckily now it's mainly the day after exercise and lasts for 1-3 days depending on how vigorous I exerted and if I keep myself from pushing and am lucky I can avoid it completely. However it also still happens without working out and that is when I don't get decent restorative sleep for some time. I attribute this to heightened pro-inflammatory cytokine activity in reaction to a combo of pathogens and other stressors and in protection against mitochondrial depletion.

Mij

Flu-like symptoms without the presence of fever has been my main symptom - luckily now it's mainly the day after exercise and lasts for 1-3 days depending on how vigorous I exerted and if I keep myself from pushing and am lucky I can avoid it completely. However it also still happens without working out and that is when I don't get decent restorative sleep for some time. I attribute this to heightened pro-inflammatory cytokine activity in reaction to a combo of pathogens and other stressors and in protection against mitochondrial depletion.

I never had flu symptoms for the first 10yrs but now the in last 10 years I experience viral symptoms 80% of the time. I used to experience worse symptoms after mild/moderate aerobic exercise but since taking l-acetyl-carnitine and lipoic acid I have improved. I stay within my boundaries though and never go over that fine line.

Even when someone has the flu, they would have some time where they felt okay. So I definitely have it. It varies from barely there to bad.

I have read people saying they did not have the flu feeling. Maybe it's not part of CFIDS, it's just so common that if you have CFIDS you will get a latent infection like EBV or one HHV to make you have the chronic flu feeling.

I've recently had a curious experience. With one other person, I helped take care of a relative who had the Norvovirus...It just seemed strange that I was the only one who did not get the full works...

Possibly the virus didn't want you, same as World War Z's zombie virus wouldn't infect a body that already had disease :snigger:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
At the moment I have a flu type virus. The only difference is that I have a runny nose and a sore throat and a cough. Ic I didn't have those symptoms I would say im having a crash. My head feels just as bad as a Servier cfs relapse where its pounding all the time.

I have mild flu like symptoms for the last 5 months almost constant, I have chills & body feels hot to touch & clammy but I feel cold (but thermometer says only a very slight temp increase sometimes). I have skin flushing/rash over most of my body & face. Its very unpleasant & now feel so bad I have been of work for 3 weeks so far.

After 5 blood tests, I have Herpes type 2 4 years ago, EBV & recent CMV infection, I feel awful, & still no diagnoses from the Dr.

Not sure if it is herpes 2 virus that is causing the flu-like shivering symptoms or a combination of the 3 viruses?? I felt like this when i caught Herpes 2 what an awful 2 weeks but this is 5 months.

Andrew

The flu-like patten I have are sinus pressure, overall achy feeling, difficulty concentrating, feeling spaced out, fatigue, bloodshot eyes, feverish feeling, and occasional mild sore throat. I also have very little endurance for activity or thinking, but it is much much worse than I ever experienced it with the flu. I also get sneezing fits but it is not the same as cold or flu. It feels like it's a result of sinus irritation, and using saline spray seems to help. I actually think my flu-like pattern is a combination of flu-like and veisalgia-like. Veisalgia is the medical term for hangover.

Other symptoms includes shattered sleep, a feeling like I'm going to pass out or lose balance, temperature sensitivity, light sensitivity, sensitivity to fabric softener, orthostatic intolerance, post exertion symptom exacerbation, and having to get up during the night to urinate. I also get sneezing fits but it is not the same as cold or flu. It feels like a result of sinus irritation that's usually on the left side. Using saline spray seems to help. And sometimes I walk oddly with very short steps and legs feeling stiff.

Since getting sick I stopped having colds as I used to know them. I no longer get those colds that have coughing, sneezing, severe (as opposed to mild) sort throat. Instead, it seems like sometimes my flu-like cluster gets worse.

Less than three years after becoming ill I got prostate cancer and tongue cancer. That was at age 60. My family is prone to cancer, but I'm the only one who got it before 90 years of age. I believe my ME opened the door to cancer.