• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone know if and where Dr Amolak Bansal is still practising?

Seadragon

I need a consultant to help me get a new doctor onside who is refusing me some of my meds. My old doctor retired last week with no warning and this new GP will not prescribe most of the meds I take without a consultant agreeing I need them after assessing me.

I know there is no point seing someone who doesn't believe in ME etc so thought if Dr Bansal is still available for video consults, maybe he could help. I am not sure if he is still practising now though as he was formerly at Spire in Surrey (I saw him several years ago but at that time we did not discuss my meds as my old GP was happy to prescribe them) but I can't find out where he went after that or if he is retired now.

I can afford his fees so that is not an issue.

This is urgent as without my meds regimen I am in serious pain and completely non functional these days.

Can anyone help? Thanks

cheeseater

My experience with MD's that disappear like that is they have completely cut off interaction with patients and other MD's because they have retired. Never understood why they would not mention it to patients before they disappeared and likely also moved away. Don't take it personally. It happens a lot.

Countrygirl

Dr William Weir, consultant in infectious diseases, will help you. He runs a clinic from my home in East Devon, charging half his usual fee.

Seadragon

Thanks everyone.

I have registered with a new practice and waiting on an appointment with a GP there.

Managing just about on less meds at the moment but it's really not ideal so hopefully, the new doc will be fairly understanding.

I do have a letter from my retired doc she provided for me for new doctors explaining how we came up with my meds regimen and for which symptoms I take each med so hopefully that will help.

Dr William Weir, consultant in infectious diseases, will help you. He runs a clinic from my home in East Devon, charging half his usual fee.
Hi Countrygirl,

I was interested in seeing Dr Weir. I have seen him in September 2020 at 10 Harley Street, however when I called his secretary there a couple months back she said that he is not taking any consultations at the moment. What do you mean he runs a clinic from your home?

Thanks!

Countrygirl

Hi Countrygirl,

I was interested in seeing Dr Weir. I have seen him in September 2020 at 10 Harley Street, however when I called his secretary there a couple months back she said that he is not taking any consultations at the moment. What do you mean he runs a clinic from your home?

Thanks!
He normally runs a clinic from my home in East Devon about every 4-6 weeks and we have been running these clinics now for about 4-5 years. The patients contact me and I create the waiting list and medical files. Three weeks before the appointment, I invite eight patients to see him over a weekend. My little dining room is converted into a surgery with an examination couch and patients see him for about an hour, sometimes two hours. The fee is less than half the usual cost because I 'work' as a volunteer, give my home for free, and give Dr W accommodation so he has no overheads or secretarial fees to pay. This means many more patients can have access to a very kind, knowledgeable, and supportive consultant. Unfortunately, Dr W is ill, so we have suspended the clinic until he is well enough to see patients again.

Hi Countrygirl,

Thanks for the quick response.

Apologies for asking, and I know its difficult to say, but do you know an approximate time when he will be back to seeing patients again?

I also wanted to ask 1 more question if possible. I have seen Dr Weir once already in September 2020 in 10 Harley Street, however in that appointment all he did was examine me, tapped a few parts of my body and asked about my symptoms. He then recommended around 6 supplements to take and that was it. However, I see even in 2018 on this forum, he wrote letters to GPs to refer patients to imaging tests and even prescribed antivirals, so I am a bit confused as to why he did not do that when I saw him.

Thanks!

Countrygirl

Hi Countrygirl,

Thanks for the quick response.

Apologies for asking, and I know its difficult to say, but do you know an approximate time when he will be back to seeing patients again?

I also wanted to ask 1 more question if possible. I have seen Dr Weir once already in September 2020 in 10 Harley Street, however in that appointment all he did was examine me, tapped a few parts of my body and asked about my symptoms. He then recommended around 6 supplements to take and that was it. However, I see even in 2018 on this forum, he wrote letters to GPs to refer patients to imaging tests and even prescribed antivirals, so I am a bit confused as to why he did not do that when I saw him.

Thanks!
We don't know yet how long it will take before Dr Weir might be well enough to see patients again.

Yes, Dr Weir refers patients for various scans such as the upright scanner, recommends daily IV saline for hypovolaemia, MCAS treatment, anti-coagulation treatment, amongst others. He keeps up to date and he has introduced new treatments based on research and is hoping that immunoadsorption will be effective. He did use antiretrovirals at one stage and one in three responded well, but others didn't so he stopped prescribing those because it is not possible to know who will respond positively. He doesn't prescribe antivirals as a rule.

If he didn't prescribe those for you, it was either before the treatments were introduced or he didn't think they would be helpful to you.