• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a magnesium supplement?

Vegas

I have generally taken Magnesium Malate. I never received any appreciable symptomatic improvement, yet I read where some people experience some noticeable improvement in energy. Any thoughts regarding a suitable Magnesium supplement?

boomer

If you don't like injections, try nebulizers. you could also nebulize glutatione separately along with b12.

Hi Vegas,

I'm getting great results using the Original Magnesium Oil spray by BetterYou. It is 31 percent magnesium chloride (within a concentrates solution of seabed mineral salts). I spray it directly onto my skin and rub in. Especially helpful for aches, pains and muscle spasms. I also add Epsom salts to my bath water to get trans-dermal benefits that way too.

I can't recall where I read it now but I think taking magnesium orally will generally result in poorer absorbtion.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Vegas, i'm not sure that Magnsium is really to be used for increasing energy, but many people find it very good for other problems. I could'nt do without my magnesium because it has really helped with my cramps, muscle twitching/spasms and ovr the lng run it is calming. Baths of Epsom salts are supposed to be very good for muscls pain and helping with sleep if you have thm before bed.
Magnesium is important for the proper functioning of mitochondria, but i dont htink its dirctly related to energy improvement in M.E. I have always used it orally and it has worked fine, although i was recommended it by injection but didnt fancy it.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hi Vegas,

I'm getting great results using the Original Magnesium Oil spray by BetterYou. It is 31 percent magnesium chloride (within a concentrates solution of seabed mineral salts). I spray it directly onto my skin and rub in. Especially helpful for aches, pains and muscle spasms. I also add Epsom salts to my bath water to get trans-dermal benefits that way too.

I can't recall where I read it now but I think taking magnesium orally will generally result in poorer absorbtion.

I've used both the Natural Calm powder, that you mix with hot water and magnesium oil by Ancient Minerals.

I wonder if your oil is better than my oil... Will check it out.

Tried the oil, no good. Mg Taurate is prob the best for encapsulated, imho. Wateroz Magenesium is the best I have found to this date. No bad rxn's to it ever, unlike all of the others I've tried and you only need a tiny amount to do the job. Very nice product for those with mega sensitivities/allergies like me.

ixchelkali

I take 1/4 tsp of Epson salts daily, mixed into juice. That provides 100mg of magnesium. Cheap and easy to take. It really helps with my IBS-like symptoms.

*GG*

I take 1/4 tsp of Epson salts daily, mixed into juice. That provides 100mg of magnesium. Cheap and easy to take. It really helps with my IBS-like symptoms.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that. Will run this by my Dr. Is the salt content really high?

GG

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Is the salt content really high?
There's no sodium in "epsom salt." It's a form of magnesium (magnesium sulfate). The term salt is used in chemistry for various compounds (don't remember the exact definition). Table salt is sodium chloride but there are a lot of other compounds that are considered to be in the category of salt.

I did a quick search and found this on Wikipedia --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(chemistry)

I know practically zero chemistry so I can't vouch for the accuracy!