• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Abilify help ?

Quilp

Those of you in the UK, were you able to ask your GP to be placed on Abilify or did you meet a road block ? I really need to try something. At this point I feel like I have little to lose.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Already an existing 70 page thread on Abilify—better to use existing threads than to keep making new threads on same topic.
While I generally agree with this, I think that it's a lot to ask of someone going thru fairly extreme ME symptoms to read thru 70 pages (!!!!!) with various opinions/input/experiences with Abilify.

Generally, seeing 'Abilify' in the title of a thread will hopefully call in members with direct experience or input @Quilp , so just wait and see what comes up here ....

Quilp

Thank you all, and yes going through 70 replies/pages is a little too much right now. I am aware of the FB page too.
I am so upset for those for whom it worked and then stopped working, Jessie, might I ask how it has helped you and what dosage you are on ? The same to anyone else.

Also to those for whom it worked, has anyone taken a break of say a year and then started again ? Could it be that it worked a second time.

I would really like OMF to say more ( apologies if i've missed it ) in respect of how many people and to what extent and for how long this is working.

Is it expensive ?

Finally, weight gain seems to be a theme, but has anyone suffered from any serious side effects ?

Many thanks, Mark

Jessie 107

Thank you all, and yes going through 70 replies/pages is a little too much right now. I am aware of the FB page too.
I am so upset for those for whom it worked and then stopped working, Jessie, might I ask how it has helped you and what dosage you are on ? The same to anyone else.

Also to those for whom it worked, has anyone taken a break of say a year and then started again ? Could it be that it worked a second time.

I would really like OMF to say more ( apologies if i've missed it ) in respect of how many people and to what extent and for how long this is working.

Is it expensive ?

Finally, weight gain seems to be a theme, but has anyone suffered from any serious side effects ?

Many thanks, Mark
Abilify has helped me in many ways.
I have been bedbound for almost 4years now, since starting Abilify I no longer have the ill/ malaise or flu like symptoms.
I can have a bath using a bath lift,
Rest downstairs every day using a stairlift,
Lay outside,
Talk more,
Use my phone more,
Feed myself,
Tolerate more light,
Less crashes,
All these things were not possible before.
I take 2mg, I've no idea why it is still working I dread the day when it doesn't because I don't want to go back to how I was before.

GlassCannonLife

Abilify has helped me in many ways.
I have been bedbound for almost 4years now, since starting Abilify I no longer have the ill/ malaise or flu like symptoms.
I can have a bath using a bath lift,
Rest downstairs every day using a stairlift,
Lay outside,
Talk more,
Use my phone more,
Feed myself,
Tolerate more light,
Less crashes,
All these things were not possible before.
I take 2mg, I've no idea why it is still working I dread the day when it doesn't because I don't want to go back to how I was before.

You slowly went up to the 2 mg right?

@Jessie 107 did the abilify effects seem to kick in pretty immediately? I guess might be hard to say since you titrated... I'm on 15mg already and am considering trying a quarter pill for a few days. I don't want to stay off my usual dose for too long though so I wonder if there's value to be had in the experiment.

Jessie 107

@Jessie 107 did the abilify effects seem to kick in pretty immediately? I guess might be hard to say since you titrated... I'm on 15mg already and am considering trying a quarter pill for a few days. I don't want to stay off my usual dose for too long though so I wonder if there's value to be had in the experiment.
To be honest, I can't remember, I will say it was a few weeks.

Wishful

I am so upset for those for whom it worked and then stopped working,

That seems to be all too common for ME treatments of any kind. I've had quite a few things that worked well for a few doses, and then stopped working. My experience is that once they stop working, they never work again, even when I tried years later. :( There's no guarantee that it won't work again, so it may be worth trying again occasionally. It's also worth stopping a treatment occasionally to make sure that it's still actually making a difference, or checking to see whether the dosage should be changed.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It's also worth stopping a treatment occasionally to make sure that it's still actually making a difference,

However, if a person knows something is working stick with it. I stopped Mutaflor when it was working because cycling it was recommended on one site. Then :bang-head: it never worked again. IF I ever have it work again, I'm going to keep taking it until it stops working.

Wishful

I stopped Mutaflor when it was working because cycling it was recommended on one site. Then :bang-head: it never worked again.

There's no guarantee that it would have kept working at that point even if you hadn't stopped taking it. Of the many treatments I tried that never worked again, I think only one occurred after stopping it, but that was prednisone, which my doctor wouldn't prescribe long-term. I think if he had prescribes another bottle, it's very likely that it already wouldn't have worked.

I only had four treatments that continued to work until they were no longer needed.