• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor Claims Leaky Gut is "Easy" To Fix

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum, and not necessarily sure that I have ME or CF, but I do experience fatigue as part of my symptoms, and from what I've discovered recently, this is most likely all due to gut issues I've been tested and proven to currently have, including an overgrowth of streptococcus, a parasite in my gut called blasto hominis, and almost 100% leaky gut likelyhood based on everything else going on, and my other symptoms...

Anyway, I'm going to post another thread, where I'm going to journal my progress with changing diet, possibly taking antibiotics to get rid of the strep, etc.

But this thread was just a quick one, to get your feedback. My Dr said yesterday that the leaky gut part of this is easy, and it can be "sealed up" with Slippery Elm. What are your thoughts on this, from what I understand taking slippery elm while I have strep would be a terrible idea, no? (as they love starchy type foods from what I read)

I am not sure about going carb free, which is what another poster recommends here as a necessity for overcoming strep. I have tried it, and literally felt like the lowest energy and most fatigue I've ever felt. I guess there is a turn over period, but man it's definitely not something to jump into lightly..

Any thoughts and feedback appreciated!

Thanks guys,

N

The doctor who did my colonoscopy said that there is no such thing as a leaky gut.

I've heard that it's a term associated with quackery too. I don't really know anything about this, but I would be cautious with any things like this, and try to make sure that any treatments are based upon good quality evidence, controlled trials, etc. Good luck.

roller

wiggle jiggle
a lot of so-called 'health issues' are perfectly normal - as long as they dont run out of control.

permeability in the body is varying over time.
that seems 'normal'. to some extend.
our endothelium leaks, our gut and basically everything else does.

the leaking may depend on genetics, aquired pathogens, their breeding times, likely other environmental conditions (temperature etc.), nutrition...too.
it gets worse with age, probably due to naturally higher pathogen loads.

imo.

im wondering, if permeability is the 'cause' when aged people die without any apparent disease. multi organ failure.

Last edited:

Skippa

Anti-BS
Hmmm, was gonna say the same thing re "leaky gut" (unconfirmed).

Thanks for the link @helen1

Maybe we'd all do ourselves a favour if we stopped using the term "leaky gut" (==quackery) and start using the term "intestinal permeability" (==more acceptable?)

@Spirit-Aligned not sure about that slippery elm thing, sounds like you have found the only doctor with "the cure" for an as yet unaccepted condition... approach with caution.

South

maryb

iherb code TAK122
leaky gut - a term associated with quackery.............. I want to give up sometimes:bang-head::bang-head:

Do we really need a debate on whether to call it leaky gut or not, we know what it means and that it definitely exists.

Lets just get on with trying to treat it and helping others by sharing what works.

@Spirit-Aligned -good luck with your treatment, Slippery Elm is a good herb , so maybe with the combination of abx it can help. Diet is always important.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

Abstract

Physiol Rev. 2011 Jan;91(1):151-75. doi: 10.1152/physrev.00003.2008.
Zonulin and its regulation of intestinal barrier function: the biological door to inflammation, autoimmunity, and cancer.

Fasano A1.
Author information
1 Mucosal Biology Research Center and Center for Celiac Research, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA. afasano@mbrc.umaryland.edu

Abstract
The primary functions of the gastrointestinal tract have traditionally been perceived to be limited to the digestion and absorption of nutrients and to electrolytes and water homeostasis. A more attentive analysis of the anatomic and functional arrangement of the gastrointestinal tract, however, suggests that another extremely important function of this organ is its ability to regulate the trafficking of macromolecules between the environment and the host through a barrier mechanism. Together with the gut-associated lymphoid tissue and the neuroendocrine network, the intestinal epithelial barrier, with its intercellular tight junctions, controls the equilibrium between tolerance and immunity to non-self antigens. Zonulin is the only physiological modulator of intercellular tight junctions described so far that is involved in trafficking of macromolecules and, therefore, in tolerance/immune response balance. When the finely tuned zonulin pathway is deregulated in genetically susceptible individuals, both intestinal and extraintestinal autoimmune, inflammatory, and neoplastic disorders can occur. This new paradigm subverts traditional theories underlying the development of these diseases and suggests that these processes can be arrested if the interplay between genes and environmental triggers is prevented by reestablishing the zonulin-dependent intestinal barrier function. This review is timely given the increased interest in the role of a "leaky gut" in the pathogenesis of several pathological conditions targeting both the intestine and extraintestinal organs.
PMID: 21248165 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Free full text

alex3619

The issue with "leaky gut" seems to me to be historical. In the early days of the theory there were claims that large numbers of bacteria could pass into the body from the gut. We know that causes frequently fatal infection. Hence all the medical authorities were sceptical.

However most modern forms have fragments or pieces of bacteria passing into the body. Not whole bacteria. This can include things like lipopolysacharide. It can include fragments that make it look like the bacteria is in the blood. I could be wrong, but I do not recall ever having read that the bacteria are isolated in the blood and grown in culture. I do recall studies involving high levels of lipopolysaccharide, which alone can make you very sick.

Let me make an analogy. Most doctors only know the basics of ME or CFS, and frequently get that wrong. Most doctors are right, I think, to claim that the symptom of fatigue should not cause great issues. They do however ignore the fine details of what is going on, and would be surprised to learn that many with ME do not have chronic fatigue. Its not a required symptom. Yet now we know that there is a post-exertional collapse in energy production. This is provoked by events. Fatigue is merely secondary to that.

The misunderstandings are due to how the story was told over time. Old leaky gut research is very different from modern leaky gut research.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Chill out folks, I was alluding to the quackery of "nutritionists", of whom there are plenty out there, that prescribe diets and supplements based on listening to your symptoms and diagnosing "leaky gut" in lieu of any evidence.

It's a trendy term, a cool term, all these self appointed nutrition experts out there throw the term around and take your money for a special protein shake or whatever.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Skippa
I wasn't referring to your post it was Esther12 s. I'm chilled, I understand, I'm here to find help/info, give help/info. not opinions, of which I have no interest in.
thanks.

@Skippa
I wasn't referring to your post it was Esther12 s. I'm chilled, I understand, I'm here to find help/info, give help/info. not opinions, of which I have no interest in.
thanks.

I think I was saying similar to skippa.

Not something I've done much research on, but 'leaky gut' does seem to be one of those terms which I notice turning up on quack's websites, and being used to promote dodgy alternative treatments. Don't see why you'd have a problem with my post.