• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor billing patient: Check this out.

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

A doctor pricks himself with a needle when taking a blood test from me.

He then bills me (without asking) 150 ($241) for him taking a need stick injury test!
:(

Sometimes these people really do amaze me.

T

thefreeprisoner

WHAT????
:confused::eek::worried::headache::sad::scared:
Here in the UK? Which clinic? Are you prepared to name and shame?

Rachel xx

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Hiya Rachel.

Yup it's someone well known, who is very ME friendly.

PM'd ya.

K

Katie

Don't they have insurance to cover this injury? How on earth could the patient be billed?

Don't pay.

Lily

*Believe*
A doctor pricks himself with a needle when taking a blood test from me.

He then bills me (without asking) 150 ($241) for him taking a need stick injury test!

That is truly amazing and troubling on many different levels :eek::eek:

Dys, you didn't....um.....faint:ashamed: or anything did you????........ Or cry :tear:eek:r pull away causing this poor doc to stick himself......

:D(just kidding);)

G

George

Dys
I strongly recommend that you file a suit for psychological distress that has added to your illness over this billing. (grins)

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Thanks for the replies.

The company phoned me and listed all the costs and I thought, wait a second, I recognise that term from what Nurses chatter about on the ward! Very sly.

The doc also did a wrong test I didn't want - got confused. No come back you see, once they come over and take the blood it's tough luck. I won't pay it, because I can't because the bill was over 1,000.

Nice person, but obviously not so keen to use their own insurance policy and instead bill someone on welfare.

Had a similar experience in the past with another ME expert, this time a state doctor using a private hospital room that I was in for a few days. They 'gave' me a physiotherapist when I didn't ask for it. As I was bed bound you can guess it amounted to a little interrogation session on why I believed it was impossible to walk and be active like 'their other patients' who are often 'much worse than you'. That was the good old National ME Centre who obsessively tell me of a 70% cure rate of severe ME through CBT and keeping an activity diary. That was a decade ago, 1hr talk according to them, (I think it was way less) and it cost 300.

Suffice to say, desperate or not I never sampled their medical expertease again. CBT to me, is common sense. I balance my day/life and maximise everything, if not I can't get off the floor - yet somehow we are by default meant to be unable to know these things and need to be brainwashed into 'accepting' symptoms. Don't we all do this anyway?!! Odd people (the staff). One gently whispered to me he used to be crazy too, and then found out about cycling and religion. They actually believe what they are told about us all, which is scary if you think about it.

If any of you guys are interested in corrupt power structures and how we can be influenced into extreme behaviour, try and read up on: The Milgram Experiment, and Zimbardo's prison experiment.

In person (not online) I am incredibly submissive to medics, gentle and self depricating - to the point things go badly wrong. All comes from conditioning and the main tool used is sustained fear and stress. Vulnerabilty (psychological or physical) can make you enter into a 'contract' with people who don't have your best interest in heart. This way you become a rat and they the mouse. Worryingly they often like to hunt. (The key to escape from a bully is to show no interest and to 'fake' boredom and a lackadaisical attitude). This takes practice, and a strong nerve which is almost impossible when nerves are on edge.

Countrygirl

=DysautonomiaXMRV;37857]A doctor pricks himself with a needle when taking a blood test from me.

:confused::eek::(:headache::sad: Dys, I have never heard anything like this! You really aren't going to pay are you? This wasn't an NHS doctor was it? I really don't understand.

Countrygirl

Dys, we posted at the same time. I gather from your info that it wasn't an NHS doctor - phew! But I'm shocked that any doctor would take such an action and, anyway, if he didn't want to use his insurance, why didn't he get a test on the NHS rather than bill you. I'm especially sad that he is allegedly one of the 'good guys'. I would like to know who he is, if just so I can avoid him. :Retro mad:

best wishes,

C.G.