• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you lose your voice when you crash/PEM?

Strawberry

I absolutely had to go to Verizon Saturday morning, and fully expected to crash my normal 48 hours later. But while I did crash like normal, yesterday I also sounded like a frog, and today I have zero voice.

This is a first for me. Is this normal for anyone else? I definitely do not feel "viral" sick (beyond the PEM sick) nor do I even feel like I have laryngitis.

It seems every time something new happens, it becomes permanent. Hoping this isn't!

fredam7

I absolutely had to go to Verizon Saturday morning, and fully expected to crash my normal 48 hours later. But while I did crash like normal, yesterday I also sounded like a frog, and today I have zero voice.

This is a first for me. Is this normal for anyone else? I definitely do not feel "viral" sick (beyond the PEM sick) nor do I even feel like I have laryngitis.

It seems every time something new happens, it becomes permanent. Hoping this isn't!

Happens daily .
I was told I have "laryngeal hypersensitivity". Not sure i but that but maybe look into
It . I think it's part of autonomic dysfunction and/or small fiber , one dr said why would i expect my larynx to not get tired if everything else is ? Guess he has a point .

In my experience, it got worse and worse until Just there most the time but for some , I'm sure it gets better . Crying makes it worse . Cold weather .

Hope yours goes away

Wishful

Not from physically-induced PEM, but talking with someone for more than a few minutes will make my voice start to fail. I'm guessing that it's just disuse, since I haven't had long conversations for five years or more. My conversations with the local wildlife tend to be short. :)

rel8ted

The worse I crash, the weaker my voice gets. If I'm badly crashed, it will get hoarse. It just feels like there is so little energy in my body, even talking becomes an effort. People who call me can almost always tell just by my voice how i'm feeling.
I love it when I answer the phone and my very good friend says "just go back to bed and rest, if you need something from the store, I will go." because my voice is already shot from a crash.

Strawberry

Wow, I forgot about this thread! :rolleyes: I wound up crashing really super hard, including the fever and chills. Took a nap, and started improving slowly. After resting LOTS, I'm feeling my normal level of sick.

Now I am wondering if this will become the normal "oh dummy you really did it now!"

Hmmm, maybe next time I should play sick better...

Stretched

First time correlating my sporadic raspy voice to CFS. It gets worse as I feel worse due to PEM causing activities including conversation or moving around too much. I then begin constantly clearing my throat. As @Seven (formerly lnester7) alluded to above I’m going to get thyroid checked due to this and rising anxiety towards bedtime - maybe too much cortisol (or adrenaline)?

Last edited:

fredam7

So if anyone's voice is pretty hoarse, as in daily . Might be worth it to see an ent . They can put a camera back there and determine how your vocal chords are working . You make a few sounds and it will show if the chords are meeting together . Mine are not meeting . Reason I was told is becayde I'm trying to force a voice but squeezing the muscles around the chords and that makes them freak out even more . Treatment is speech therapy to relax those muscles and remove possible irritants . There is no smell that doeqbr cause coughing and horrid reactions .
Hope this helps someone

fredam7

@Strawberry I do have Hashimotos but have never had any issue with my voice in my life . This all came together . My feeling is that it's the immune system destroying the neurological system . They put the camera through your nose and record videos while you make high , normal and low sounds . The two chords are supposed to close , mine got nowhere close which has bummed me out, I learn more and more that I'll never be me again. It's been hoarse for about a year .
Also , you can see if stuff is on your chords and if they're inflamed . Ent told me mine were very red . The video was black and white . There was stuff allover my chords which I was told was post nasal drip
For a year , I've had mucus pouring out of my nose and down the back of my throat. I easily go through 2-3 boxes of tissues a day and asked what I could do for the flu like symptoms and everything was "just do IVIg ", I am doing IVIg and these symptoms are exacerbated.
If you have flu like symptoms , live in a state of a permanent flu, it's possible your chrords have mucus on them , so much that they're irritated . That does not explain why the muscles are not pushing the chords together but I had to hear about permanent hearing loss as the cause my tinnitus and that the pulsitile tinnitus is not normal despite what I was told blah blah so I didn't push on why do I have to overwork those muscles in the first place , I did ask if it was neurological and she said she didn't know .

Whatever this freak disease is , it's shutting down all my functions and yes , I'm forcing a voice and it sounds raspy and hoarse and getting worse . Relaxing those muscles is not going to stop what's going on , I don't think it can be stopped

I think it's easy for them
To say look, your muscles can't push your vocal chords together , because that's technically true , but why? Why are they "tired"?
So don't know if this is really helpful
to anyone . A lot of our problems can be given endless diagnoses but the hoarse voice is not a stand alone issue so to me, it's part of my decline and why nothing works , not one single organ or process works as it should . And you see this with a number of disorders or as people become so ill that they're nearing death . So take this diagnosis with a grain of salt , I am and certainly not going to speech therapy as if I suddenly don't know how to use my voice or muscles .
Hope it's different for others and something that passes

godlovesatrier

I just crashed the last 2 days. Quite a way off my baseline. But funnily enough my voice did go hoarse and I have to continually clear my throat. Also wake with a sore throat for a few hours in the night but never seem to get it in the day.

I think when your very brain is swollen after excercise it makes sense that everything else will go to pot.

Thinktank

Yes, i had it this morning. I don't "lose" my voice but speaking becomes a very tiring endeavour.
It feels like my throat is very tight and i have to really make an effort to speak. My voice is all off, very strange.