• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have to be in constant pain with Fibromyalgia?

wonderoushope

My GP a while ago thought I probably had fibromyalgia. I am a bit confused though.... I do have a lot of tender points in my body and I get flare-ups of stiffness and lower back pain, migraines, but I wouldn't say I am in constant pain for the most part. However, if you touched any of the points in my body I would be in absolute agony (knees, feet, buttocks, lower back, elbows, neck, upper back, hands etc). I am always surprised when I go to an osteopath and the work on my lower back and buttocks and I can't believe how painful and tender it is (I sometimes scream with pain), yet if I don't actually touch it, I don't feel pain or stiffness. In addition, I get quite a bit of costochondritis flare-ups and my chest is very tender. Can this still be classified as Fibro, even though I don't tend to feel the pain unless I touch the trigger points?

The only other thing I can think of is my diet keeps the pain under control.

I have fatigue, brain fog, sleep issues, stiffness and food sensitivities too.

Last edited: