• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do graded activity therapies cause harm in chronic fatigue syndrome?

user9876

It's an ethical issue because people are so pro and against GET. Proponents will design a trial so that only very serious harm is recorded (not necessarily cynically but they don't expect problems).
Most trials were small trials without any harms reporting. Pace was intended to cover this but they did not do it properly. They changed their definition of serious adverse events (without mentioning it) and they did not check compliance with treatment. I think there could also be issues due to the review process where events are discarded as not relevant to treatments. If the reviewers don't thing GET can harm they will not allocate it as such.

Tom Kindlon

Altmetric.png

Jenny TipsforME

Oh looking forward to your paper @Karen Kirke ! Will you start a new thread with it when it's published?

I'm actually just starting on a research project (very part time from home) and guess what we will be writing patient surveys! So it could be useful.

Oh looking forward to your paper @Karen Kirke ! Will you start a new thread with it when it's published?

I'm actually just starting on a research project (very part time from home) and guess what we will be writing patient surveys! So it could be useful.
Yes, I'll start a new thread with bells on! Your research project sounds interesting - let's keep in touch. Will they be ME/CFS patient surveys?

Sea

"In the PACE trial, which used the broad Oxford criteria, post-exertional malaise at baseline was reported by 84 per cent in the APT group, 85 per cent in the CBT group, 82 per cent in the GET group and 87 per cent in the control (SMC-only) group (White et al., 2011)."
@Tom Kindlon do we have any way of correlating those classified as improvers with their baseline symptoms? ie do we know whether any of the improvers had PEM as a baseline symptom?

I know this is a pipe dream, but what would be enlightening would be a qualitative study of the original PACE participants asking them about their experiences and perceptions of the study.
I know you understand it isn't possible but any move made to identify/contact PACE participants would be jumped on by PACE authors and used against the patient community. It was their biggest argument in not releasing the data that we would try to identify participants. Pretty sure it was for the sake of their reputation rather than patient confidentiality though. Any of the patients that have come forward and said anything that I've read has been damning towards the trial. Of course the PACE authors could say those people were not part of the trial and we would have no way of verifying that.

Tom Kindlon

"In the PACE trial, which used the broad Oxford criteria, post-exertional malaise at baseline was reported by 84 per cent in the APT group, 85 per cent in the CBT group, 82 per cent in the GET group and 87 per cent in the control (SMC-only) group (White et al., 2011)."
@Tom Kindlon do we have any way of correlating those classified as improvers with their baseline symptoms? ie do we know whether any of the improvers had PEM as a baseline symptom?
Not at the moment. A paper looking at predictors from the PACE trial authors has been promised which may or may not have some interesting information.

Jenny TipsforME

Any of the patients that have come forward and said anything that I've read has been damning towards the trial. Of course the PACE authors could say those people were not part of the trial and we would have no way of verifying that.

In theory (I know this won't happen!) the qualitative follow up could be done by PACE researchers themselves. If they're confident about participants having a neutral/positive experience they could evidence this with more detailed feedback.

RogerBlack

Is there any general protocol for contacting patients to do a followup trial if you are not the original researchers?