• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestive enzymes?

Art Vandelay

I have recently started trialling digestive enzymes and have been pleased with the results.

A doctor I saw last year tentatively diagnosed me with candida in the gut and recommended a product containing betaine HCL and pepsin. I noticed an improvement of some symptoms within hours and my body appears to be expelling a lot of what looks like candida.

Another doctor recommended bromelain and ginger protease as they can assist in breaking down the cell walls and biofilms of infections. (I have borrelia, an active EBV infection and possibly SIBO.) I've tried this from Life Extension and have noticed it is quite effective.

I've had to start out very slowly as I experience a fair bit of a Herx from them.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
What supplement products are good for taking digestive enzymes?

I've been using Enzymedica Digest. They're very small capsules, don't contain any fillers, are stable in stomach acid, and are very effective for a lot of people according to reviews going back many years. Enzymedica has Digest Basic which is fairly weak, Digest which is twice the strength (and price) of Basic, and Digest Gold which is twice the strength of Digest (and twice the price) than Digest but also includes some extra supplements which don't seem worth the extra price to me.

I take them because I don't break down fats or protein as well as a healthy person.

Enzymedica also has Lypo Gold which is very potent and specifically for fat digestion. Some people tolerate it well, others don't. I had pain for a couple of days in my upper abdomen after using it.

ljimbo423

Is taking digestive enzymes a good idea? I read something saying it can reduce inflammation and increase energy.
What supplement products are good for taking digestive enzymes?

I'm pretty sure they need to be taken between meals, on an empty stomach, to get the anti-inflammatory benefits. I recently started taking a basic pancreatin digestive enzyme to help breakup bacterial biofilms in my gut from dysbiosis.

I got significant die-off symptoms, from the digestive enzymes breaking up the biofilms and the bacteria dying-off. So if you take them on an empty stomach for their anti-inflammatory effects, just be aware of the possible die-off.

I do feel a very noticeable improvement in my energy and clarity of mind though, now that the die-off has passed. The die-off only lasted 1-2 days, each time I increased the dose of digestive enzymes.

BeADocToGoTo1

I have to take them to stay alive since my pancreas does not make much of them anymore (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). When you have any type of pancreas damage, or even just when getting older, your pancreas will no longer make as much lipase, amylase and protease enzymes as is needed to fully break down food. This can cause nutrient deficiencies, dysbiosis and many unpleasant things downstream.

Since it is crucial for me to know the strength of the enzymes per pill as well as consistency I get Creon, which is prescription only. However, there are over the counter versions as well, like Thorne Dipan-9, LifeExtension Enhanced Super Digestive Enzymes and more.

The reduction of inflammation and more energy is mostly due to breaking down food better into usable nutrients, and not have improperly broken down food particles be seen as invaders by your immune system.

More in this thread:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...y-epi-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-cfs.62997/

ljimbo423

The reduction of inflammation and more energy is mostly due to breaking down food better into usable nutrients, and not have improperly broken down food particles be seen as invaders by your immune system.

I do think taking digestive enzymes with meals is very important but their benefits go beyond that. I take a strong pancreatic enzyme with every meal.

Have you seen the research on "systemic" enzymes on inflammation and pain? Mainly proteolytic enzymes, when given on an empty stomach become much more bio-available and have significant systemic effects.

If they are taken with food the enzymes get used up breaking down the food and very little gets into the bloodstream. Some studies of shown significant reduction in inflammation in Arthritis, sprains, inflammation and pain from over-exercising and other inflammatory conditions.

Last edited: