• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestive enzymes profound positive effect on me

fishboy9320

I have tried many supplements and nothing has been this helpful. I wasn't digesting much of the food nutrients so any that was absorbed were just used to digest the next meals instead of on my body. This time I can feel my body healing instead of it otherwise just deteriorating. Probiotics a closely related supplement was not this helpful but I think a combination of the two may be the best. It makes sense that it works so well because our guts are constantly under attack by the poor quality food we eat so I think anyone could benefit from supplementing with it and not just people with gut diseases. I am gonna try a combination of easily digestible
Hydrolyzed protein and the digestive enzymes and see how that goes.

This is so awesome. I can feel the benefits of the food I eat which I never did before. I wanted to share this maybe others can benefit from them as well. This will just make my digestion better and better as my body builds up on more and more nutrients and heals.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
20 years ago or so I discovered that I was low in stomach acid. I had tried digestive enzymes with little benefit but when I started taking betaine HCL with meals, it was night and day. Chronic gallbladder problems I'd had disappeared, my liver worked much better, food no longer sat in my stomach for hours making me feel sick.

Digestive enzymes are great and I'm really glad they're helping you so much @fishboy9320 but some people (including me) need a little more - I remember a chiropractor telling me years ago that nothing he gave me would help me until I got my digestion sorted out, and he was right.

linusbert

I got my digestion sorted out, and he was right.
how did you sort it out?

Any particular brand that you found helpful ?
in germany we have Nortase which is a fungus produced enzyme.
the thread opener suggested Bio Gest which also has Betaine HCL, Bile and others. so its not just enzymes which worked for him.

I am gonna try a combination of easily digestible whey protein and the digestive enzymes and see how that goes.
there is also a new potatoe protein isolate powder. its coming slowly to market. for those who do not tolerate milk.

did you try raw meat or raw eggs?
raw food usually comes with the enzymes it needs to digest itself. even fruits like papaya.
so for some a raw piece of flesh might be easier to digest than cooked.

raw eggs are digested in like 30 minutes... where as hard cooked eggs take like 8 hours.
i do drink raw egg yolks sometimes.
of course raw meat is controversial because of potential pathogens and parasites. so inform yourself very good.
raw egg yolks are rather safe. 1 in 10.000 eggs has salmonella.

ALSO some use apple cider vinegard to help digestion.

Mary

Moderator Resource
how did you sort it out?
Three main things, and my chiropractor who does muscle testing and my orthomolecular doctor at the time helped me also.

(1) discovered I was low in stomach acid and had me start taking betaine HCL with pepsin with each meal. The doctor's instructions were to start with one capsule and work up to where I felt "acidy" and then back off by one capsule. This actually worked - I could tell the "acidy" feeling at 4 caps, so went down to 3 with each meal and was fine. This was several years ago, and I skip the betaine HCL most of the time now, my digestion is working much better.

(2) Chiropractor gave me AF Betafood by Standard Process, which helped my gallbladder start functioning better. And after I'd been taking the Betaine HCL for awhile, my gallbladader stopped acting up.

(3) Liver detox under supervision of chiropractor, who gave me a couple of Standard Process products to use. He determined that a large part of the problem was chemical solvents from a job I'd had many years ago where I had heavy exposure to chemical solvents. The liver detox took about a month and was a bit rough - made me quite tired and sick feeling but when it was done, my digestion was much better - a glass of wine no longer made me sick e.g. I also started taking milk thistle for liver support.

Since doing all of this, my digestion is really good, and it used to be really bad close to 20 years ago.

fishboy9320

Works very well. I'm gonna try an Multivitamin with the digestive enzymes and whey protein and see how that goes. Have to make sure that the multivitamin contains all the essential minerals usually they exclude one or two from the product for whatever reason. Vitamins and Minerals use proteins or amino acids most for their functioning in the body.

Last edited:

fishboy9320

I also want to try digestive enzymes + Zinc Carnosine
Zinc Carnosine is supposed to be very good for the gut. Are there any other well known supplements for gut that are not herbs like arginine or lysine?

I think i've found my supplement stack: Zinc carnosine + digestive enzymes + whey protein + iron (with vitamin c and calcium combined to increase absorption).

I wanna try vitamin D now and iodine. singular nutrient more likely to be real

Last edited:

linusbert

Zinc Carnosine is supposed to be very good for the gut. Are there any other well known supplements for gut that are not herbs?
l-glutamin
and
alpha ketoglutarate (AKG) which works similiar like glutamin. i believe it binds amoniak in the guts and turns in to glutamin. glutamin is used by your gut cells for energy.

also i heard that potatoe starch might be helpful. or potatoe or starch flour. but some with SIBO or starch intolerance might react really bad to this. so start very small dose and carefully!
a very small dose is like the tip of your little finger and lick over it.